A Trilobite made of Glass.

Arizona Chris

Hi all,

Last weekend, me and paleo Wife found another fossiliferous outcrop in the Permian Fort Apache Limestone east of Payson, about a mile further down the Highway 260 trail.  The past few days, we have been soaking the 35 pounds in limestone in 10% Muriatic, and have found more treasures in this localities rock than any other!  In addition to the tiny microfossils I have been sharing with you from this area such as ostracods and tiny mollusks, we on occasion will find fragmentary bits of a trilobite called Anisopyge inornata.  They preserve for some peculiar reason as yellow caramel colored translucent silica, and can be spotted easily in the sorting trays because of this.  Tuesday night, a new batch came out of the pans from the coarse sieves, and we started going through it.  I almost fainted when I found something we had never seen before in the sorting tray - We finally found the "Holy Grail" so to speak of the Fort Apache Limestone, a complete pygidium preserved in carmel colored silica!  

This "glass" trilobite is not a mold of the exterior or inside but a complete replacement of the original scleroprotein with silica, similar to how the trees in the petrified forest were preserved.  Here are a few shots to share with you now, taken tonight of both the top and bottom sides.  That huge 16 gauge nail in the photo - is actually a straight pin.  The pygidium is about 3mm wide.  

So much more to come out of this amazing new site,  I will share it with you as time permits!

Top view at 10x

T-FINAL2-1290.thumb.jpg.8958c9b09c68078672c2f7f751b02e68.jpg

Bottom View of the inside of the pygidium

U-FINAL-1200.thumb.jpg.a86afd5bd5754086b896723a1ec7357c.jpg

Me at the site last weekend

DSC00661-1290.thumb.jpg.83b29efa2fa6906ec40547994ff375f9.jpg

Paleo Wife Unit searches for fossiliferous rocks...

DSC00663-1290.thumb.jpg.10e7f75202f9c057d0ac75e81bf3d65f.jpg

Well, thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed this report!

PS - Im still figuring out the focus stacking software, bear with me!

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

That's pretty cool, Chris!

Congratulations on this find. :) 

Thanks for posting it. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow nice (and super rare) find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The second complete pygidium was found a day later, preserved attached to the bottom of a shell bit, and we almost missed it.  But the shell certainly protected it from the somewhat brutal acid bath and sieving process from becoming "trilo-bits" instead.  The same batch also gave us the very first scaphopods, and a gorgeous calcareous sponge. (coming soon).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

I think I can almost see the terrace marks on the Pygidium underside shot... Unless those are beekite rings.  Very nice!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/