Preservation of Fossil "seabed"/ hash plate

Bobby Rico

Hi all just sorted out some old fossil and found this fossilised seabed. I found it 20 years in a river in South Wales can't remember where it was. This  was before I was interested in fossils or natural history. The fossil over years is going a chalky lighter shade , if that makes any sense. This is photographed wet too show the details . Has anybody got any advice to protect it.  Kindest regards Bobby 

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG   IMG_0658.JPG 

IMG_0662.JPG   IMG_0661.JPG

I'd say it's fine as it is, but if you really want to you can coat it in a consolidant (paranoloid, vinac, butvar).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I love hash plates and yours are very nice. Maybe post a picture without wetting the plates. It will give members a little different perspective. The detail on the plates would have me agreeing with Malcolm, but once dried, assuming you want to display them, I may change my mind and agree with Whodaman

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I love hash plates and yours are very nice. Maybe post a picture without wetting the plates. It will give members a little different perspective. The detail on the plates would have me agreeing with Malcolm, but once dried, assuming you want to display them, I may change my mind and agree with Whodaman

Hi all , thank you all for the great advice. I have added two photos of my hash plate ( I did not know the name was this until today, thank you) dry . See what you think?  Kind regards 

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

Archived