CarlosSchwindt

Hunting for the Niobrara Chalk

CarlosSchwindt
This Sunday my father and I were hoping to take a trip to the Niobrara chalk and check that out and see what we can learn from it. Is there anything you  guys can relay to me in terms of places to look or getting land permission? I'm just looking to try to find people to call, places to go, etc. just trying to get a feel for fossil hunting outside of the Fort Hays Limestone and Greenhorn Shale.
Thank you so much for any and all info, even on just general paleontology in Kansas

Fruitbat

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  I have only hunted the Niobrara chalk once so I'm hardly an expert but you might find some interesting information in THIS SECTION (link) of my Pdf Library here on TFF!  Just scroll down until you get to the section on Kansas.

-Joe

CarlosSchwindt

Thank you so much! I have seen your PDF library of fossils but I didn't realize you had one for localities. I love your PDF libraries, they are amazing sources of knowledge, thank you for all the hours of work you put int

Fruitbat

My pleasure!  I have been accumulating links in Fruitbat's Pdf Library for about nine years now and it has developed from a rather insignificant jumble of disorganized links into what I hope is a better-organized collection of links that I TRY to keep as up-to-date as possible.  I don't know if you have scrolled through the TABLE OF CONTENTS (link) or not, but I have tried to incorporate links to most of the topics that paleontologists at all levels might find of interest.

It is something that I truly enjoy doing!

-Joe

Xiphactinus

Good luck Carlos!

Macrophyseter

My plan right now is to sneak into your car and secretly hitchhike with you. I always want niobrara fossils and want to go there myself.

CarlosSchwindt

Update- I reached out to a reputable commercial paleontologist for information, he provided me two open cites, available to the public, in the Niobrara. Castle Rock and Monument Rock. Has anyone been out there before? 

jpc

They are public sites, but I doubt they are open to fossil collecting.  Xiphactinus should know.  

Castle Rock

Carlos, I have been to both of these locations, to Castle Rock MANY MANY times (since 1962!).  My one trip to Monument was worth it for a few good photos.  I did not see anything significant in the way of fossils there. Castle Rock is actually private land...BUT the owner makes the location completely open to anyone who comes out for a visit. You are completely free to collect on the surface...HOWEVER, the owner doesn't want you to DIG. I can tell you that Castle Rock is a FANTASTIC place to take photos!  While you might find a disarticulated vertebrae here or there, my experience would suggest that you are not likely to find anything much bigger. Not to mention that this place is HEAVILY visited and dirt bikers (:angry:) also frequent the canyon. All that said...you REALLLY SHOULD go there!  Dave

Ramo

I too have been to both places.  They are privately owned and open to the public.  Like Dave said, you can surface hunt all you want.   Chances are you will be the only one there if its on a week day.  If it rains I wouldn't try it.  Those roads are slicker than you will believe.  and if you get stuck, it may be days until someone comes by to help you out! 

I've never looked for fossils at either place very hard, because I'm afraid I would find something sticking out of a bank, and not be able to dig it out.  I hope nobody does.  These spots  have been open to the public for years, and I'd hate to see one person ruin it for everybody else.  I imagine if you spent a few hours there you would probably find a shark tooth or two, and some fish verts. 

Ramo

Xiphactinus

^^What Ramo said.....^^

Castle Rock

TO ALL:   Here is a link to a FANTASTIC Youtube video....drone flight over the Castle Rock area!  The video only shows (today) 27 views(???) and I MUST be 20 of those!   ENJOY!  dave 

Nimravis
2 hours ago, Castle Rock said:

TO ALL:   Here is a link to a FANTASTIC Youtube video....drone flight over the Castle Rock area!  The video only shows (today) 27 views(???) and I MUST be 20 of those!   ENJOY!  dave 

I agree Dave, great video and thanks for posting- I have to get out there one of these days.

caldigger
On 9/21/2017 at 7:03 PM, Macrophyseter said:

My plan right now is to sneak into your car and secretly hitchhike with you. I always want niobrara fossils and want to go there myself.

Let's hope Carlos drives a big tour bus because I have a feeling there are many of us that would love to sneak on ( oop!, I mean tag along) with him.