Shellseeker

When I was hunting 4 times a week, I would ziploc bag most small fossils without serious identification.  Cleaning out after Irma, I am sorting 2014 bags. Here is a canine that I originally thought dolphin.

Now I think more likely coyote or raccoon, but even unsure how I would decide .Canine4.thumb.jpg.131a639df4c2bd5c67b73f519a50e7f4.jpgCanine1txt.thumb.jpg.308f95f9c1b9cebb1e01240aa577d2a9.jpgCanine3.thumb.jpg.6ff727368a8f58834332b612c4772844.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I think the tooth is too worn to be confidently identified.

I tend to agree.  I have been looking at a lot of coyote and raccoon canines. Due to the relative lack of curvature, this would more likely be an upper jaw canine. Most of the Coyote and Racoon upper canines are small, less than 40 mm where this one is slightly over 50, but relatively slight in other measurements.

Here is one for Smilodon gracilis that Nate had on ebay, a lower jaw canine at 1 and 9/16ths .. that blows out some size and curvature speculation above...

This one back into the unknown box..

smilodongracilis.jpg.eac060d164a9db20f2d4cd0f6f8a8f5f.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"