Dinosaur tooth Thailand

gigantoraptor

Hello all.

I saw this tooth offered for sale. Does it looks real? And if it is real, does anyone know what species it might be?

The size: 2.44x1.12 Inches

It weights 42 gram

The seller is from Thailand.

Early cretaceous

Found in the northeastern plateau of thailand

Greetings

Tooth 4.jpg

Tooth 1.jpg

Tooth 2.jpg

Tooth 3.jpg

I think it's a real tooth, a don't know much about the area or the geology but I think there was a spinosaurid in the area? Also resembles a croc tooth, which is what I'd lean towards. Because it's conical piscivore is where my mind goes. I'm an amateur so take with a small pile of salt.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I am sorry for your I giving you this bad news, but this is not a tooth, but a simple coral of species not yet identified, but possibly belongs to the Rugosa family. As far as I know, these corals are from the Miocene. And it is quite easy to identify these corals, since they do not have a definite shape that could be embedded in Theropods. And many unscrupulous sellers are taking advantage of the lack of available data to sell them as if they were Teropod's teeth. I do not advise buying.

The nonsense is so big around these bizarre corals, that to this day you find on the Internet these corals being sold as "legitimate" teeth of Siamosaurus;

06.PNG

• I found this Informative 4

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

5 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I am sorry for your I giving you this bad news, but this is not a tooth, but a simple coral of species not yet identified, but possibly belongs to the Rugosa family. As far as I know, these corals are from the Miocene. And it is quite easy to identify these corals, since they do not have a definite shape that could be embedded in Theropods. And many unscrupulous sellers are taking advantage of the lack of available data to sell them as if they were Teropod's teeth. I do not advise buying.

Roguse corals went extinct at the end of the Permian...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Roguse corals went extinct at the end of the Permian...

It is precisely for this reason that I mentioned that it is an undetermined species and possibly of the Rugosa family, that is, it has not yet been scientifically described, and for the time being, everything is mere speculation. But nothing is impossible after the scientific description, do you remember a fish that was declared extinct called Coelacanth?

03.PNG

5 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

It is precisely for this reason that I mentioned that it is an undetermined species and possibly of the Rugosa family, that is, it has not yet been scientifically described, and for the time being, everything is mere speculation. But nothing is impossible after the scientific description, do you remember a fish that was declared extinct called Coelacanth?

In that case it would be worth much more! If I was a scientist I would get to work on a paper as fast as I could. Now that I look closer I can see the septae, although I don't know of the undescribed horn coral for it is a new concept to me.

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

In that case it would be worth much more! If I was a scientist I would get to work on a paper as fast as I could. Now that I look closer I can see the septae, although I don't know of the undescribed horn coral for it is a new concept to me.

And it sure is worth much more. But in Thailand this fossil coral is abundant, being extremely common and they get much faster money selling like Theropod's teeth. For some time I have been very anxious for the scientific description to be made, and that finally this fossil coral may be better known among fossil collectors, after all, even though it is not a tooth, it is beautiful!

03.PNG

Looks nothing like the few Thailand dino teeth I've seen.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!