I found these unusual (for me ) thingies

FranAdain

My wife and I were searching Aquia formation beaches in Virginia the other day and found these. We've no idea what they may be. Can anyone throw some knowledge our way?

The first is a small (nickel sized) plate with little divots in its surface. Divot side is convex, other side is smooth and concave. (One image)

The second piece is about a 3/4 of an inch long. Two opposite surfaces are smooth, and the other two opposite surfaces are grooved, kind of like wear patterns. There is a hole down the length of it that goes all the way through. Looks toothlike (three images)

Thank you for your time, knowledge and expertise

20170921_220627-2.jpg

20170921_220834-1.jpg

20170921_221134-1.jpg

20170921_221009-1.jpg

Can't claim personal experience, but could the first and last photos be of an alligator or crocodile scute ?

Property rights include the intertidal zone there also.

I agree with Don. Usually the white parts are missing, as it is stated here .

59c4f959598dd_Dad2-10-09IschyodusDolloi.JPG.c312afd82e0228b3f6f13bc1e9578e03.JPG

other pictures from here

Holocephali_005_924.thumb.jpg.12089722888e2de54666e7efb19421b4.jpgHolocephali_003_980.jpg.0b67beacf59d8c3ca5b04f9f8cb77985.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hello from across the river! The Aquia is thus far one of my favorite formations to hunt in. First one is a croc or gator jaw piece I think, the divets are places for electric receptors. That second fossil is a really cool find!:envy:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My first impression was croc/gator scute for the first one, but the hoes seem too regular.  I think it is man made.... Maybe a piece of a skeet.

5 hours ago, jpc said:

My first impression was croc/gator scute for the first one, but the hoes seem too regular.  I think it is man made.... Maybe a piece of a skeet.

I thought it was man made at first and I keep looking at it wanting it to be something cool..