dshields0111

Caledon State Park fossils

dshields0111

I thought I would share some photos of fossils and an arrowhead I found over the last few years from Caledon State Park in King George County, Va. I know of no other posts anywhere discussing fossils located at this site in Va., although, the fossils at this location along the Potomac River are not very abundant. Sometimes I go down there (1.9 mile hike on a dirt road to the beach) and find nothing. More typically, if you search for 2 hours along the beach there, you will typically find a few small shark teeth; on a good day maybe 10 teeth. Every now and then, one may find a small bone fragment and every once in a while an arrowhead (I’ve only found maybe 2-3 arrowheads here). The fossils are Paleocene in age (66 to 56 million years ago). My best finds are a few Otodus sharks teeth shown in the photos. I might mention that I went to this park probably 25 times before I found even 1 Otodus tooth, so these are very rare at this location.

Otodus at Caledon 1.jpg

Otodus at Caledon 2.jpg

Otodus at Caledon 3.jpg

Arrowhead at Caledon.jpg

Fossil in clay at Caledon.jpg

Fossildude19

Is this a State park that allows collecting?

Although some parks in fossiliferous areas do allow collecting, a vast majority of them do not allow fossil collecting . :unsure:  

WhodamanHD

I think collecting is allowed there. Nice finds, especially the first tooth and the arrowhead! Sometimes I go hunting across the river at Douglas Point/ purse (same formation). Have you been there? If so which one is better? Just out of curiosity.

dshields0111

Fossil collecting is allowed along beach at Caledon. Yes I've been to Purse Park a few times in the past 4-5 years. Purse Park is a much better collecting site than Caledon. Like I mentioned in my first post, the quantity is much less at Caledon compared to Purse. During the winter months one can easily find 100 to 200 sharks teeth at Purse in a few hours. At Caledon, its more like 20-25 on a good day and as low as zero on a bad day, but it's much closer drive for me (22 miles to Caledon Park and 68 miles to Purse Park). Also, not to many people go to Caledon because it is a minimum of 1.9 miles to walk to the beach (one way) on a gravel road. No cars are allowed by the public on the road. Especially the very hot and very cold months, not to many people are willing to make the ~4 mile round trip to the beach and back. If I'm not mistaken, the depositional environment represented by the sediments at Caledon is shallower than the depositional environment at Purse Park, so the fossils are usually smaller at Caledon (bone fragments, ray plates, sharks teeth, etc....). Purse also has a lot of turatella, some crocodile teeth, and bivalves. I've never found any crocodile teeth at Caledon. The bivalve in the photo from Caledon is nothing but soft clay (no hard shell left).

At Caledon Park, there is also two longer hikes to two other locations along the Potomac; one about 2.2 miles one way and the other about 3.5 miles one way. I would say there is about 2 miles total of open beach at Caledon along the Potomac River.

WhodamanHD
9 minutes ago, dshields0111 said:

Fossil collecting is allowed along beach at Caledon. Yes I've been to Purse Park a few times in the past 4-5 years. Purse Park is a much better collecting site than Caledon. Like I mentioned in my first post, the quantity is much less at Caledon compared to Purse. During the winter months one can easily find 100 to 200 sharks teeth at Purse in a few hours. At Caledon, its more like 20-25 on a good day and as low as zero on a bad day, but it's much closer drive for me (22 miles to Caledon Park and 68 miles to Purse Park). Also, not to many people go to Caledon because it is a minimum of 1.9 miles to walk to the beach (one way) on a gravel road. No cars are allowed by the public on the road. Especially the very hot and very cold months, not to many people are willing to make the ~4 mile round trip to the beach and back. If I'm not mistaken, the depositional environment represented by the sediments at Caledon is shallower than the depositional environment at Purse Park, so the fossils are usually smaller at Caledon (bone fragments, ray plates, sharks teeth, etc....). Purse also has a lot of turatella, some crocodile teeth, and bivalves. I've never found any crocodile teeth at Caledon. The bivalve in the photo from Caledon is nothing but soft clay (no hard shell left).

At Caledon Park, there is also two longer hikes to two other locations along the Potomac; one about 2.2 miles one way and the other about 3.5 miles one way. I would say there is about 2 miles total of open beach at Caledon along the Potomac River.

Thanks for the info! I always like an adventure, even if the fossils might be a little scarce so maybe I'll check it out sometime. Douglas Point is at this point one of my better collecting spots, it is of course closer to me than Caledon. Can say I've never seen an arrow head at the point!