Nice little Stylemys

Bozark

Finally getting to work on some of the fossils we got on our last trip to Wyoming! After some pretty simple wash jobs we decided to start on a little Stylemys we found the first night. We think we got most of him, some of the shell was washing out but we caught it pretty early and picked up most all the frags we could see. There's a pretty stark shift in color between the exposed shell (white) and the dark purple of the shell we uncovered. Pretty quick job of getting it out,  but apparently I packed it up before the consolidant had really set

turtleone.jpg

turtletwo.jpg

When we got it to our lab it was a pretty simple process to remove the paper towels that got glued to the carapace. I didn't have very high hopes for this guy-no evident limb bones to speak of, but I thought it could still make a good coffee table or desk piece if I left it on a pedestal and restored the shell. All the prep so far has been hand tools, I'll probably air abrade and buff near the end. I figured I'd work from the bottom to the top, in hopes of finding some plastron

IMG_20170921_121040853.jpg

IMG_20170921_121712611.jpg

Aaand bingo. There's at least a bit of him in there- more dark purple like the other elements still in matrix. Lots of consolidant right after the picture was taken, this little guy is a little more interesting than I thought

IMG_20170921_131833433.jpg

Here's how I left him after a few hours. I'll be doing a little more on him tonight and post tomorrow, there's a nice little surprise on this guy that the pictures haven't shown. In the meantime, I've found water to be a tremendous help on this part of the white river formation. I'll let you guys know on this thread tomorrow how she works out!

IMG_20170921_121035589.jpg

IMG_20170921_131837440.jpg

These little guys are the best place to find Stylemys skulls, as well as limb bones.  (Note the spelling).  So, you are going to air abrade it and buff it?  What exactly does buffing entail, and why?  

Hey JP! Thanks for the advice, I find myself waffling on the spelling with alarming frequency. Buffing is kinda exactly what it sounds like. We'll usually take a soft cloth or fit a cut up sponge on a dremel or drill and run it over the carapace (obviously gently, avoiding more fragmented areas, etc.) to get a higher shine for display without resorting to chemical means. Sometimes it'll hardly do anything, sometimes the results are incredible. Hell creek bones in good condition are probably my favorite candidates, but some of the larger Stylemys fossils I've used the technique on start showing off a little more color

• Bozark changed the title to Nice little Stylemys

@RJB see above. I'm not entirely sure if I'll use it on this guy. He's got a nice contrast on him with the two colors as is, and if there's a choice between using a technique and not using it with little difference in the end result I tend to avoid using it. Got a little more done on him, most of the excess matrix is removed and the plastron is mostly exposed

IMG_20170922_180825793_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170922_181701530.jpg

And that's where he'll stay for a bit. I'll be cleaning the edges a little more then seeing how many of the fragments we collected will fit on him

IMG_20170922_190503290.jpg

IMG_20170922_190450142.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Woops- lost my intermediate photos. Rest of the prep was pretty simple. Nearly all of the frags fit together perfectly. No skull or other small bones inside it, but in the back left I found an odd coprolite. I reconstituted some of the matrix to build a basic mount. I'll let it dry and do some detailing.

IMG_20171009_125508421.jpg

And the coprolite. Lots of little bits of black matter, reminds me of plant deposits in the Lance formation or decapod frags. Also present are larger frags of a purply brown color oddly reminiscent of the plastron's color. Not sure what to think about it, it was either washed in from another animal or present in the turtle when it died. Anybody know a coprolite expert?

IMG_20171009_130854220.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bozark said:

@GeschWhat sticks quite readily to the tongue. I'll try to get it under a microscope tomorrow and send you some pictures!

Oh no, post them here please.:thumbsu:

Inquiring minds want to know!:headscratch:

All 6000 of Me.:rofl:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to use a standard microscope, and had to deal with one designed for viewing mineral thin sections. The photos probably won't be bright enough to tell much, but by using my phone as a flashlight I was able to make some decent observations. The black streaks tended to be fractured in a trellis pattern along their length, with small imperfect tetragons splitting off. If my memory serves me well then this is diagnostic of small fish bones that I've seen before. I'll try to find a better microscope and send some lower magnification, better lit images soon.

These were taken at 10x

IMG_20171010_203132417.jpg

IMG_20171010_203213879.jpg