Mystery Fossils Revealed !!!

RJB

24 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @Doctor Mud, I meant to take some better pictures of the two halves and forgot.  I appologize.   Im very forgetful nowadays. 

RB

No worries my friend.

May the fossil gods be smiling upon you for this beauty.

Looks like an intact concretion not long out the siltstone. Sometimes they are already split before they completely weather out.

@RJB, I was nervous just reading this! Sometimes you really have to trust your knowledge on a prep. Clearly, you have a library of knowledge on crabs. I've never seen preps to rival yours. 

I can't wait to see more. :drool:

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Thank you Kris, but I know 3 other guys who put me to shame when it comes to prepping the crabs. 

RB

Wow, I'd love to see their work if they are that good!

Bruce is one of our memebers and he is one of the best ive ever seen. Another really good prepper is from France and the 3rd guy quit prepping about 15 years ago.

RB

Ok, talk about a heck of alot of rock removal!!!   I used my Super Jack for almost 7 hours today and my hand and part of my arm is very sore!!!   But the good thing is,,,, I hit carapace!  That little tiny spot of brown in the center is the very top of the carapace.  I always say that ive got a long ways to go, but for this rock,,,, times that by 10 !!!  Gunna be real interesting to see how the shell material is preserved, but just in that little tiny spot, I can tell that its gunna be a bit soft.  Not a good thing. 

RB

SplitcrabE.JPG

On 01/10/2017 at 9:20 AM, RJB said:

Ok, talk about a heck of alot of rock removal!!!   I used my Super Jack for almost 7 hours today and my hand and part of my arm is very sore!!!   But the good thing is,,,, I hit carapace!  That little tiny spot of brown in the center is the very top of the carapace.  I always say that ive got a long ways to go, but for this rock,,,, times that by 10 !!!  Gunna be real interesting to see how the shell material is preserved, but just in that little tiny spot, I can tell that its gunna be a bit soft.  Not a good thing. 

RB

SplitcrabE.JPG

Woo-hoo!

you must be a happy man. It's a wonderful moment hitting carapace after all that rock. Did you use a chisel bit the whole time or the triangular bit for some?

i find the highest point of the carapace can be really soft sometimes on tumidos, with the rest more robust. Hope it's just a soft patch and the rest is good shell.

@RJB, 7 hours of removing rock just to find a trace of carapace? Not to mention that's with a Mighty Jack. Those things move a ton of rock in a nanosecond! We use them at the Perot to prep sauropod bones!!!!!

That's the difference between a crab prepper and a sane human! You have the patience of Job. That's a lot of work just to get to the starting point of a whole lot more work. No wonder fossil crabs of any quality at all are so very expensive.

@Doctor Mud,  Triangular bit?  Not sure what that is?   Here is a pic of what ive been using for rock removal.  its the tool on the righthand side.  The ME9100 is in the middle and the ARO on the left.  and I really do hope its just soft on the top?

RB

DSCN0630.JPG

Do you use a Prepping Etcher/Engraver?

I just bought these online to clear up my ammonites abit.

deb3337bfc046bba72c431de669f3f89.png

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

2 hours ago, LiamL said:

Do you use a Prepping Etcher/Engraver?

All 3 of the tools @RJB showed could be called engravers. They all operate in that way, they are just larger and more powerful. There are 10 different sizes of pneumatic scribes made by Paleo Tools from rock pulverizing monsters all the way down to individual grain removal under a microscope.

8 hours ago, RJB said:

@Doctor Mud,  Triangular bit?  Not sure what that is?   Here is a pic of what ive been using for rock removal.  its the tool on the righthand side.  The ME9100 is in the middle and the ARO on the left.  and I really do hope its just soft on the top?

RB

DSCN0630.JPG

I was just wondering as paleotools have what they call a "pyramidal" stylus tip for the super jack that they recommend for very hard rock. 

@LiamL, I use the scribes that take an aircompressor.  I dont use what you have shown.   @Ptychodus04 explained it purty good.    @Doctor Mud, even though ive used paleotools for years now, Ive never heard of the 'pyramidal' tip?  Never needed it i guess.

RB

Ok, another 7 1/2 hours into this thing.   Found out today that its quite sticky!!!   Ran into a leg today too and of course,,,,, sticky!!!  But still, lookin purty good so far.  gots lots of rock to remove, but slowly gettin there.  I put one my average sized crabs that im used to prepping to show you what size of rock im dealing with. 

RB

SplitcrabF.JPG

SplitcrabG.JPG

Archived