Mystery Fossils Revealed !!!

RJB

Keep it up @RJB this thing is starting to look NICE!!

P.S. My phone autocorrected “keep” to “feel”. I’m glad I caught it. That totally changed the Meaning of the sentence. :blink:

Hard to tell in this photo but ive done four areas of rock building and one part on the right claw with some two part putty with some coloring added.  Did a bit of work on the two tippy tippy's for the back two legs on the left.  I also spent about 40 minutes removing bulk rock but its hard to tell from two days ago.  This is another 4 hours plus, but ive got a ways to go still.  The second photo is the pile of rock ive taken off this thing. Its literally burying everything around!!!  Im running out of prep room on my prep bench!!!  ha!!!  :)  This rock started at 47 pounds and now probably wieghs in at around 23 pounds?   Still heavy though.  A job trying to turn this rock this way and that way to work on it.  And still, very happy to do it. 

RB

SplitcrabL.JPG

SplitcrabM.JPG

Getting there!

Shame about the big claw being tucked under like that. But otherwise first class with amazing preservation.

have you exposed the fourth leg on the right? Can't see it in the photo.

This is going to look awesome after smoothing and finishing.

Thanks for the kudo's guys.   And Doctor Mud, I havent run into the 4th leg on the right yet?  Gots me a bit worried.  I was hoping that I would not have to go through all the glue, but that leg may be under the glue?  

RB

Ok, it doesnt look like it, but ive got a little over 9 more hours into this thing.  I did find the 8th leg, but very disapointed that there is no tippy tippy!!  Im going to put this aside for awhile and go on the attack once the pain goes away. 

RB

SplitcrabN.JPG

That thing truly is massive isn't it? I can certainly see it coming into its own now!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hey @WhodamanHD, yes, its the most massive crab conc ive ever attempted!!!  Rock removal that is.  I did a massive crab two summers ago that was quit a bit larger crab, but a lot less rock removal than this one. Still, these crabs take over 100 hours.   Ive got a very long ways to go to finish this one up, but right now im going to put this aside for awhile.  Just tooooooo much work and has some problems I dont want to deal with right now.

RB

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @WhodamanHD, yes, its the most massive crab conc ive ever attempted!!!  Rock removal that is.  I did a massive crab two summers ago that was quit a bit larger crab, but a lot less rock removal than this one. Still, these crabs take over 100 hours.   Ive got a very long ways to go to finish this one up, but right now im going to put this aside for awhile.  Just tooooooo much work and has some problems I dont want to deal with right now.

RB

I definitely understand, I can't imagine how hard it must be! (I'm practicing prep a little and don't laugh but I was working on a tiny few millimeter Triassic sharks tooth with a sewing needle then the tip broke, I've rarely been more angry). I'll still be here when you end up coming back to it!:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hey @WhodamanHD, im not laughing, doesnt matter what size the fossil is, but for me, Its got to be almost perfect or I get  upset!!!  Call me a dipwad or whatever you want, but i want close to perfect fossils for my collection.  Hard to come by. 

RB

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @WhodamanHD, im not laughing, doesnt matter what size the fossil is, but for me, Its got to be almost perfect or I get  upset!!!  Call me a dipwad or whatever you want, but i want close to perfect fossils for my collection.  Hard to come by. 

RB

Well snarge! That means the fish I’m prepping for you won’t stay with you! :wacko: It’s FAR from perfect.

2 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Certainly seems to be working well, your collection is world class! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think that is one very cool crab and as always great prep.  Gees what a pain, seven legs with tippie tips, but ONE without....pooooop.  I'll bet its in hidding?  As many of us crab preppers know its so hard to put in so much work and discover it isn't as good as you hoped and wanted.  

I think You are just trying to up the "popcorn" usage here on TFF, I know You have the concession.

The crab is looking pretty good even without a tippy tip on one leg.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Take Your time and be happy.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Wonderful!

Could the tip still be hiding?

I know everyone has their own level of satisfaction and our friend RJB is a crab connoisseur - only the best will do :P

Yeah this guy has "issues" but how many Tumidos are there out there with any tips?

But I salute your dedication to perfection my friend, that's what keeps us going sometimes, that search for that elusive crab that ticks all the boxes.

Hopefully there is fun to be had along the way too. 

I'll be staying tuned to see how this one turns out :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Well thank you everyone.   Even though no tips on leg 2 and leg 4 on the right side, its still a very nice crab.  But I am gong to put this aside for a week or three and then go on the attack again once i'm refreshed and have my enthusiasm back.  

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after a bunch of work on the house, getting the fire wood chopped and staked, cleaning up the garage and doing a heck of alot of orginizing and such, and I didnt even clean up the prep bench.  I did take some time off and did some lazy couch and tv stuff though!  That was quite nice!  Today I did almost 8 hours of work on this thing!!!  Hard for me to concentrate that long nowadays.  But besides a nightmare on the righthand side that I will have to deal with soon, its starting to look purty dang good?  :) 

RB

SplitcrabO.JPG

41 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ok, after a bunch of work on the house, getting the fire wood chopped and staked, cleaning up the garage and doing a heck of alot of orginizing and such, and I didnt even clean up the prep bench.  I did take some time off and did some lazy couch and tv stuff though!  That was quite nice!  Today I did almost 8 hours of work on this thing!!!  Hard for me to concentrate that long nowadays.  But besides a nightmare on the righthand side that I will have to deal with soon, its starting to look purty dang good?  :) 

RB

Sweet Ron,

You have come a long , long way on this baby.. I am loving that left side, and if you can get the right anywhere close,  this will be one fantastic and unique treasure..

Time to dig DEEP --- :fistbump:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, RJB said:

, getting the fire wood chopped and staked

Why do You have to stake Your firewood? Is the wind that bad up there?

The crab is looking good to Me.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It's definitely coming along! It's gonna be really nice once it's done!

Happy hunting,

Mason