Phosphate nodule or possibly coprolite?

Plantguy

Hey Gang, 

So need your opinions on this one...We find alot of nodules down here and this one has a particularly well digested lumpy look to it, more so than most. Any chance you think this might actually be a coprolite?  

59c5c5ea0b8b9_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.cd3d49935c006a858575d766c35a2b79.jpg59c5c5eabd014_thumbnail(2).thumb.jpg.e869c45d4b4ef80b9fa2bd8ce5d2e755.jpg59c5c5eb923b5_thumbnail(4).thumb.jpg.22c73b4dd65ccc1e0c14fe125fbc9563.jpgthumbnail.thumb.jpg.59e8a8d6a7f70d9b94b02b759df7feee.jpg

It does have a few clam borings and along the top wrinkle you can see some irregular parallel tubes that make me wonder. thumbnail6.thumb.jpg.1ab9acc60bf9778e4528f050c015c424.jpg

All thoughts are welcome. Thanks! 

Regards, Chris 

@GeschWhat 

the spiral is a good sign but I'm no expert.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 9/22/2017 at 11:19 PM, WhodamanHD said:

@GeschWhat 

the spiral is a good sign but I'm no expert.

15 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Looks like a mighty fine piece of poo to me!

Thanks gang for the feedback. I was snooping around on the web looking for pubs and pics. I never made it down to the Bradenton museum fossil exhibit George Frandsen who has the largest coprolite collection in the world on display. Could still be there I guess. He now has this website you all may be familiar with-great pics and links to pubs.specimen. 

Welcome to the World's Largest Coprolite Museum &
Resource Center

This site offers everything you want to know about amazing fossilized poops. Featuring pictures, photos, videos, scientific publications, information, and the latest news about everyone's favorite fossil. 

http://www.poozeum.com/coprolites.html

The material from South Carolina does look alot my Florida specimen. I know Ive seen other examples over the years and have overlooked/discarded them. I think I do have a couple examples somewhere...I know I do have one from Solnhofen.  I need to pay more attention!

Regards, Chris 

6 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

I know Ive seen other examples over the years and have overlooked/discarded them. I think I do have a couple examples somewhere...I know I do have one from Solnhofen.  I need to pay more attention!

Oh noooooooooooooooooo! Coprolite is so unappreciated.

George definitely has some really nice specimens. Is your Solnhofen coprolite Lumbricaria? I'd love to see a photo.

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

Oh noooooooooooooooooo! Coprolite is so unappreciated.

George definitely has some really nice specimens. Is your Solnhofen coprolite Lumbricaria? I'd love to see a photo.

Yes agreed he has quite a collection.

Yep, here you go. I believe its thought as I remember to be from an ammonite. Got a few nice dendrites on the plate too. It was actually easy to get to in the display case and find it but all wrapped up in bubblewrap. I guess that defeats the purpose of having it in there. LOL. what a system I have! sadly, the other Solnhofen stuff is still in the dang garage...

thumbnailcoprolite.thumb.jpg.08d06b3e4c31c8e513e807b7bfa18d07.jpg

Anyways, thanks for showing interest. Good Hunting! 

Regards, Chris