Brachiopod from Otero Canyon, New Mexico

Monica

Hi everyone!

Back in June, a colleague of mine traveled to Albuquerque, New Mexico for a conference, and she extended her stay in order to do a little exploring with her husband.  @PFOOLEY was nice enough to give her some tips re: where to go to look for fossils, and she was able to find a few at the Otero Canyon!  She decided to give one of her finds to me, and I was hoping that someone out there would be able to identify it for me - please see pictures below:

"Front" of rock: brachiopod plus some bryozoans (I think)

DSCN2283.thumb.JPG.721e6fca2c6281242efb2b696d65be3e.JPG

"Back" of rock: 

DSCN2285.thumb.JPG.49884a12df9df717a48cbd8e239e3efa.JPG

Close-up of brachiopod:

DSCN2283.thumb.JPG.cac381ad3d85cdba83ab05a01726ab37.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Monica

Nice one, whatever it is! Looks like it has long spines extending off the margin. Bet it would look great if you can get someone to tastefully prep it.

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice one, whatever it is! Looks like it has long spines extending off the margin. Bet it would look great if you can get someone to tastefully prep it.

You know - I didn't even notice the spine-like object(s) until you pointed it out - thanks Eric!  Perhaps I will look into someone who can prep it for me...

• 1 year later...

Okay, here's the brachiopod post-prep:

DSC00460.thumb.JPG.f083ea99bdd5a94c8fd2a613959040f1.JPG

Any idea as to its identity?  How about its age?  Wikipedia says that it's Carboniferous or Permian (I think) in age - is that correct?  

Perhaps @PFOOLEY can help... :)

Thanks again!

Monica

Thanks to all who have given input!  Since I doubt that I'll narrow the identity of this brachiopod down to species or even genus, I'll simply label this specimen as a brachiopod from the Order Productida (due to the presence of spines - thanks @Wrangellian and @howard_l).  I've also located Otero Canyon on a geological map, and I think the rocks there are from the Carboniferous, specifically the Pennsylvanian subperiod, so that's the information that I'll include on the label.

Well at least you've got a spiny brachiopod, and from a location and time period that I assume you don't have much of yet?  :)

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Well at least you've got a spiny brachiopod, and from a location and time period that I assume you don't have much of yet?  :)

I'm not complaining - I am indeed happy with this little cute guy, even if I can't get a precise ID on him.  As for stuff from the Pennsylvanian - I don't have a ton of material from then, but I do have some stuff from that time period (two other brachiopod types, some Mazon Creek stuff, plant material from various places).  In organizing my cabinets, I've realized that I only have 3 items from the Triassic, and nothing from the Permian!  So I may have to keep an eye out for items specifically from these periods, especially the Permian, just so I can have a nice representation of differently-aged fossils in my collection...:)

9 hours ago, Monica said:

I'm not complaining - I am indeed happy with this little cute guy, even if I can't get a precise ID on him.  As for stuff from the Pennsylvanian - I don't have a ton of material from then, but I do have some stuff from that time period (two other brachiopod types, some Mazon Creek stuff, plant material from various places).  In organizing my cabinets, I've realized that I only have 3 items from the Triassic, and nothing from the Permian!  So I may have to keep an eye out for items specifically from these periods, especially the Permian, just so I can have a nice representation of differently-aged fossils in my collection...:)

If you acid-prepped this specimen you might want to check the other side under magnification. Occasionally there can be a rare specimen hanging out where you least expect it. If you have any Mazon Creek floor tile (same as hash plate) for example, there may be arthropod bits or insect wings camouflaged in the debris.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

18 hours ago, Monica said:

I've got something from every period (system) but the Triassic and Permian are underrepresented in my collection too. I don't know where to get some easily-gotten Permian stuff. There is some of it here on the Island, along with some Triassic and Penn, but it's hard to come by compared to the Cretaceous.

I'm sure you know, one good source of Pennsylvanian stuff is the Jacksboro, Texas area - lots of wonderfully preserved marine things there, if you can find someone to make a deal/trade with, as I did. It's a 'bucket list' site for me.  :Luck: :zen: Texas is also known for Permian, as the middle Permian epoch and ages are named for locations there, but I have not come across any of that material yet, myself. Some day!