holdinghistory

Lighting for amber photography

holdinghistory

Working on my amber photography setup. Right now, having issues with lighting the insect up properly. Still working on getting the focus correct, just switched to a steomicroscope with a c-mount adapter for my Cannon Rebel. Shooting remotely with the EOS app. Lighting with the scope's backlight and a dual arm microscope light. Any ideas?

IMG_0010.JPG

holdinghistory

Enicocephalidae in Burmese amber, if anyone was curious ;-).

caldigger

Ha! I first read this as being "Lightening for Amber photography" and thought hum, this should be an interesting.

snolly50

A real lighting challenge...that's a tough subject to capture. This is just my trial and error thinking...I would cut off the back light and try illuminating the piece with halogen spot lamps (just because I have those) from two sides.  Then I would try a ring light from above, but reflection of that source might prove a vexation. Good luck and have fun. Please post your results.

holdinghistory

Decided that the microscope was just not working for focusing and such, so switched back to a macro lens. Some are better than others, but having some success with a large LED light and a small flexible arm microscope light. This is a shot of a cricket.

1.jpg

snolly50
On 10/2/2017 at 7:42 AM, holdinghistory said:

having some success with a large LED light and a small flexible arm microscope light. This is a shot of a cricket.

I think this one is very nice. What camera settings are you using?

holdinghistory

Macro lens on manual focus. Used pretty standard settings with the Cannon Eos software, just made little adjustments to the exposure and depth of field till it looked right. 

snolly50

Thanks, the depth of field, always a concern with macro attempts, looks as good as could be hoped for in your shot. I think it's a successful effort on a difficult subject.

holdinghistory

Thank you!