New Finds From Pierre Shale

cleanbreaks719

Picked up several specimens during my exploration of what I believe to be a local outcropping of the Pierre Shale in Colorado Springs.  A decently preserved Baculites for sure  with nice sutures and an unknown fossil.  Any help this one would be appreciated.  

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

We visited the Pierre Shale one year we went to the Denver rock show.  Pulled over to an outcrop on the side of the road we had never seen before and it was filled with fossil marine amphibian bones!  Great stuff, and your baculites is a great find!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

I think your unknown is a geologic - example of Cone-in-cone structures. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

I think your unknown is a geologic - example of Cone-in-cone structures. ;) 

Regards,

Oh interesting!  I saw of bunch of these and wasn't sure what to think. Thanks everyone!

Arizona Chris that's, awesome! Can't wait till I have an eye for strata like you do.  

20 hours ago, Arizona Chris said:

We visited the Pierre Shale one year we went to the Denver rock show.  Pulled over to an outcrop on the side of the road we had never seen before and it was filled with fossil marine amphibian bones!  Great stuff, and your baculites is a great find!

"Marine Amphibian Bones" ?? !!  NO such ting... maybe reptiles, but not amphibians.  

Just to keep everyone on their toes.

Archived