???? Mosaic of crystal?? North Sulphur River

shel67

I found this at the North Sulphur River today, Ladonia, Texas. I was sifting through the gravel, and this beautiful mosaic appeared in the water. It’s a mosaic of tiny squares and when it is wet the colors are brilliant! Any ideas of what exactly this might be?

701C7E34-3A92-498F-BAE3-D5DF4DD74BC0.jpeg

548D3DBA-7F43-45B4-A7A2-9A9F825EE078.jpeg

7CEFE95F-D02E-4C03-BF27-9A8551B67842.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like Paleozoic tabulate coral. The fossil is probably replaced by silica (does a steel knife blade scratch it?). I don't recall any silicified fossils at NSR except for petrified wood. If it is a tabulate coral which went extinct in the Permain before the Cretaceous, the fossil has been brought in by ancient rivers, human beings or is from reworked gravels from an unknown formation.

Please show us what the other sides look like.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

47 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Do some corals have square shaped septa? I'm not so sure about this.

Side view in cross section. (?)

Pictures of the top and bottom would help.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Do some corals have square shaped septa? I'm not so sure about this.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Side view in cross section. (?)

Pictures of the top and bottom would help.

In this view they are more often rectangles in my experience.

+1 in the not so sure column.

I agree with side view of tabulate, Favosites sort of thing. There are transverse section hexagons just visible on the left of the second photo.

Tarquin

39 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Would the degree of mineral replacement explain the lack of obvious pores in the walls ?

I can see pores in some of the walls when it's blown up a bit.

Tarquin

This is not likely a tabulate coral.  Given the location it was found, it is more likely a small, cross sectional fragment of the rudist, Durania. A Forum search should give you several images to compare.

• I found this Informative 6

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 9/25/2017 at 7:25 AM, JohnJ said:

This is not likely a tabulate coral.  Given the location it was found, it is more likely a small, cross sectional fragment of the rudist, Durania. A Forum search should give you several images to compare.

Drat, should have thought of that! :D 

Tarquin

I agree with JohnJ. It is a rudist fragment.

548D3DBA-7F43-45B4-A7A2-9A9F825EE078.jpeg.d1e169994e654a794c4866ed3d83a9f1.jpg.7b2e3bb5cab70cd9cf18022c9554e963.jpga.jpg.c9ce290523e9afffbd2f4b83779de1d5.jpgb.jpg.81308c49484bdeb051cce45c1dca4b03.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, TqB said:

Drat, should have thought of that! :D 

;):D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

21 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It looks like Paleozoic tabulate coral. The fossil is probably replaced by silica (does a steel knife blade scratch it?). I don't recall any silicified fossils at NSR except for petrified wood. If it is a tabulate coral which went extinct in the Permain before the Cretaceous, the fossil has been brought in by ancient rivers, human beings or is from reworked gravels from an unknown formation.

Please show us what the other sides look like.

I was doing a little reading and I came upon this photo of a tabulate coral. Mine looks very much like this especially with the honeycomb shapes on the top. 

1593775B-1A1A-4219-9827-A027296C3470.jpeg

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

I still think it is a tabulate, if that helps.

I’m very new at this, but from reading and looking at comparisons I have to agree.  My question is....how did this end up in the NSR

Further examination reveals that this is a tabulate coral and not a rudist. The tabulae (transverse septa) are not lined up from corallite to adjacent corralite. See photo below of tabulae (horizontal east west short lines) that occur in irregular intervals in the corralites (vertical north south tubes):

image.png.3b60fdd80869c09f61131f8885d974f2.png

Durania have solid calcium carbonate shells. The rectangular "cells" are not hollow. The coral fossil is silicified since a knife blade does not scratch it. I have yet to see any silicified Durania or other fossils in the NSR area except for petrified wood which is probably exotic. The fossil coral shows signs that the rectangular cells were once hollow because they are now lined with many layers of chalcedony (agate). See photo below:

image.thumb.png.b329d992f066ff0d54ea33372cc50d88.png

Below is  a detail photo of Durania austensis from Plano Texas. Note that the horizontal lines (east and west in the photo) all line up in a slightly curving straight line. I believe that they represent growth lines in the rudist. 

59c9c8056b089_P1000752(2)(1280x1126).thumb.jpg.1fb209513ee964dfd68a6a4f4c922dbc.jpg

The transverse sections of the corallites below are hexagonal which strongly suggests coral and not rudists:

image.png.7cabf5426a513eb8ce94f79706f64f8f.png

The real mystery now is not what it is but is how did it get to the North Sulpher River.

Possibilities:

Brought in by humans.

Brought in by animals as gastroliths (dinosaurs?).

Brought in by long-gone post-Cretaceous rivers. Fossil was then recycled into the nearby Pleistocene sediments.

• I found this Informative 4

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

11 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Further examination reveals that this is a tabulate coral and not a rudist. The tabulae (transverse septa) are not lined up from corallite to adjacent corralite. See photo below of tabulae (horizontal east west short lines) that occur in irregular intervals in the corralites (vertical north south tubes):

Durania have solid calcium carbonate shells. The rectangular "cells" are not hollow. The coral fossil is silicified since a knife blade does not scratch it. I have yet to see any silicified Durania or other fossils in the NSR area except for petrified wood which is probably exotic. The fossil coral shows signs that the rectangular cells were once hollow because they are now lined with many layers of chalcedony (agate). See photo below:

Below is  a detail photo of Durania austensis from Plano Texas. Note that the horizontal lines (east and west in the photo) all line up in a slightly curving straight line. I believe that they represent growth lines in the rudist. 

The transverse sections of the corallites below are hexagonal which strongly suggests coral and not rudists:

The real mystery now is not what it is but is how did it get to the North Sulpher River.

Possibilities:

Brought in by humans.

Brought in by long-gone post-Cretaceous rivers. Fossil was then recycled into the nearby Pleistocene sediments.

Thank you so much!!! You’ve been extremely helpful!  I’m really proud of this one. So far my oldest specimen! 

11 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Possibilities:

Brought in by humans.

Nice work. :) (A coral gastrolith would be quite something, are there any definite ones?)

Tarquin

4 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Ulcers anyone ?

Could it have been airmailed from the Chicxulub region ? There are some reports of objects that this was the most realistic explanation for I think.

I did consider that the coral may have arrived with the giant tsunami from the Cretaceous boloid or comet strike. The wave supposedly went all the way to Kansas. I don't know if any marine Paleozoic rocks exist south of the NSR that could be a source for the coral fossil. Maybe the receding wave might have brought fossiI coral from Oklahoma where silicified coral exists. I think that my other ideas are more likely.