petrification

RLRanta61

When considering the permineralization/replacement processes and how they affect wood.And all of the organic material in and or around the wood.In clear to opalized voids in the tree sections what other organic material has been found,beside the wood itself?

I've only heard (and seen) insect borings, never heard of another fossil "inside" of the opalized wood, does this answer your question (or am I interpreting incorrectly)?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm assuming it is the environmental conditions that determine the preservation. ie. the harsh conditions encountered by the wood where the organic matter is destroyed and completely replaced are not also ideal for the fragile insects or resin/sap.

There was a discussion about this on the forum that may help shed some light on the subject :

As WhodamanHD said the insect borings are preserved.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0031668

Thank you.I just read Dusty's "Amber" find and I found it very informative.In the research I have done so far on the permineralization and replacement processes on different organic material.And how special the conditions have to be in order to preserve things in that nature.I was noticing how the mineralized ground water can fill the voids or borings in the wood and create some very clear portions of the silica.Some of it was clear,some milky white,some amber in color.Some wood I collected from this area looks really good,right down to the microscopic level.Good brown color like it was buried when it was alive.Some of the other wood does not look so healthy as it has the borings but appears to still been living at the time of burial.My question is,if these borings were made by insects,would it not  be possible for one of these insects get trapped at the time of burial and go through the same permineralization/petrification processes as the wood and possibly be seen in the more clear portions of the silica ?

• 2 weeks later...

The bugs in the wood would decompose probably and unless they are covered in amber it would not have the required conditions to fossilise.

If insects are organic and all organic material can be fossilized, then under the right conditions that have nothing to do with amber, this can occur and has occurred. I have a specimen that has at least two insects frozen in time.  

On 9/26/2017 at 2:12 PM, RLRanta61 said:

.if insects were in the wood I wonder why they have not been seen?

I have seen insect borings that were filled with insect coprolites. I have heard of a few specimens of fossilized insect grubs in petrified wood, but have never seen it or pictures of it.

I have never heard of or seen petrified wood with amber.

Being that insects are softer than wood and more susceptible to decay it is not surprising to Me that the two do not (often) occur together.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I've heard of coal with amber, this is known as Amberite. I believe it is usually low quality and doesn't usually have insect inclusions.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason