So I've gotten myself into an extremely rare deal- a mosasaur and pliosaur tooth both in the US for a great price.

The goodies arrived today, and I might as well show em off.

2EgV2Z8.jpgKhWK5Yy.jpgh0YrQv9.jpg

First off, we have a mosasaur tooth from the Ozan Formation of Fannin County. Knowing that the NSR flows inside Fannin County and is also part of the Ozan Formation, This tooth is probably also from the NSR itself. Although the seller didn't have time to do a full ID on the tooth and simply labeled it as unidentified, by extensive comparing with other mosasaur teeth from the area, I can promptly assume that this is cf. Tylosaurus proriger, meaning that after 11+ years of my life, I finally have a T. proriger tooth :)

wt98k2k.jpgI9kOqX7.jpg

tYR6OY9.jpg

Next, we got a tooth that has been sought out for by countless collectors- a north american pliosaur tooth. As with other Texan pliosaur teeth, this one was from the Britton Formation near Dallas. Again, the seller labeled it as an unidentified pliosaur. This time though, IDing is difficult. Based on my knowledge, the two possible candidates are Brachauchenius lucasi and Polyptychodon hudsoni, which both have been found in this area. But as its hard to tell the difference between the two in teeth, I can't make a solid pinpoint. Maybe I'll just be biased and label it as cf. Brachauchenius lucasi because brachs are more iconic to me and due to the unstableness of the polyptychodon taxon. :P

8hLdswd.jpg

Although not as large as other's tylosaurus teeth, this one still kicks over 4 cm which is still pretty big to me.

lqxMQNg.jpg

The pliosaur tooth is just over 2 cm, making it quite small but worth due to its rarity.

ebcbaU0.jpg

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Nice buys!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great teeth. I am envious.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived