help me identify this fossil?

aquigley770

Hi all, I recently found this on a trip to the Jurassic Coast at Dorset and have been intrigued by this find, i'm not an expert on fossil identification and i would be grateful for all your potential ideas as to what this could be.

IMG_4220[1].JPG

IMG_4215[1].JPG

I still say belemnite, guard not phragmacone. Some are partially hollow.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Which end of the Jurassic Coast and what size is it? An end view of the wide end would be useful too. 

It doesn't look like a belemnite, especially not any of the Lias belemnites from the Lyme/Charmouth area. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

1 hour ago, TqB said:

Which end of the Jurassic Coast and what size is it? An end view of the wide end would be useful too. 

It doesn't look like a belemnite, especially not any of the Lias belemnites from the Lyme/Charmouth area. 

It was found at Kimmeridge, approximately 4cm in length with a piece broken off the narrow end it also has a slight curvature to it, I’ll post a picture from that perspective for you soon, I appreciate it guys! 

Thanks, those are helpful. 

I'm not sure but it could be the end of a Pinna - type bivalve. (Look up "Pinna fossil" otherwise you get lots of ears... :) )

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

I also agree with Tarquin. Pinna (if not quite that) - like bivalve would be a good possibility. As far as I can see, the celluloprismatic layer structure, in the transverse view of the specimen, is visible. (It will be nice to see a polished transverse cut in high-resolution, for further reference.)

59cb9c02e0399_IMG_42331.JPG.a079212c3fc3d08faaa0b1a7eebe3388.thumb.JPG.498b66c449e92840e4be6adfefa8571f.JPG59cbffe94d4aa_Figure1.thumb.jpg.21075cdd057d21dab8b67a48d89c5bad.jpg

excerpt from J.-P. Cuif et al. 2012. Layered Growth and Crystallization in Calcareous Biominerals: Impact of Structural and Chemical Evidence on Two Major Concepts in Invertebrate Biomineralization Studies. Minerals 2(1): 11-39.

open access

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

20 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I also agree with Tarquin. Pinna (if not quite that) - like bivalve would be a good possibility. As far as I can see, the celluloprismatic layer structure, in the transverse view of the specimen, is visible. (It will be nice to see a polished transverse cut in high-resolution, for further reference.)

59cb9c02e0399_IMG_42331.JPG.a079212c3fc3d08faaa0b1a7eebe3388.thumb.JPG.498b66c449e92840e4be6adfefa8571f.JPG59cbffe94d4aa_Figure1.thumb.jpg.21075cdd057d21dab8b67a48d89c5bad.jpg

excerpt from J.-P. Cuif et al. 2012. Layered Growth and Crystallization in Calcareous Biominerals: Impact of Structural and Chemical Evidence on Two Major Concepts in Invertebrate Biomineralization Studies. Minerals 2(1): 11-39.

open access

Fantastic information this is very much appreciated my friend! :)

11 minutes ago, Darko said:

Nice find :)

Thanks @Darko I’ll be sure to keep posting further finds in the future!