aquigley770

help me identify this fossil?

aquigley770

Hi all, I recently found this on a trip to the Jurassic Coast at Dorset and have been intrigued by this find, i'm not an expert on fossil identification and i would be grateful for all your potential ideas as to what this could be.

IMG_4220[1].JPG

IMG_4215[1].JPG

WhodamanHD

I still say belemnite, guard not phragmacone. Some are partially hollow.

TqB

Which end of the Jurassic Coast and what size is it? An end view of the wide end would be useful too. 

It doesn't look like a belemnite, especially not any of the Lias belemnites from the Lyme/Charmouth area. 

aquigley770
1 hour ago, TqB said:

Which end of the Jurassic Coast and what size is it? An end view of the wide end would be useful too. 

It doesn't look like a belemnite, especially not any of the Lias belemnites from the Lyme/Charmouth area. 

It was found at Kimmeridge, approximately 4cm in length with a piece broken off the narrow end it also has a slight curvature to it, I’ll post a picture from that perspective for you soon, I appreciate it guys! 

aquigley770

Here are some extra photographs

IMG_4233[1].JPG

IMG_4235[1].JPG

TqB

Thanks, those are helpful. 

I'm not sure but it could be the end of a Pinna - type bivalve. (Look up "Pinna fossil" otherwise you get lots of ears... :) )

aquigley770

Yes I can see why you’ve made that comparison, an interesting suggestion thank you! 

FossilDAWG

I'm in agreement with Pinna.

Don

abyssunder

I also agree with Tarquin. Pinna (if not quite that) - like bivalve would be a good possibility. As far as I can see, the celluloprismatic layer structure, in the transverse view of the specimen, is visible. (It will be nice to see a polished transverse cut in high-resolution, for further reference.)

59cb9c02e0399_IMG_42331.JPG.a079212c3fc3d08faaa0b1a7eebe3388.thumb.JPG.498b66c449e92840e4be6adfefa8571f.JPG59cbffe94d4aa_Figure1.thumb.jpg.21075cdd057d21dab8b67a48d89c5bad.jpg

excerpt from J.-P. Cuif et al. 2012. Layered Growth and Crystallization in Calcareous Biominerals: Impact of Structural and Chemical Evidence on Two Major Concepts in Invertebrate Biomineralization Studies. Minerals 2(1): 11-39.

open access

Darko

Nice find :)

aquigley770
20 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I also agree with Tarquin. Pinna (if not quite that) - like bivalve would be a good possibility. As far as I can see, the celluloprismatic layer structure, in the transverse view of the specimen, is visible. (It will be nice to see a polished transverse cut in high-resolution, for further reference.)

59cb9c02e0399_IMG_42331.JPG.a079212c3fc3d08faaa0b1a7eebe3388.thumb.JPG.498b66c449e92840e4be6adfefa8571f.JPG59cbffe94d4aa_Figure1.thumb.jpg.21075cdd057d21dab8b67a48d89c5bad.jpg

excerpt from J.-P. Cuif et al. 2012. Layered Growth and Crystallization in Calcareous Biominerals: Impact of Structural and Chemical Evidence on Two Major Concepts in Invertebrate Biomineralization Studies. Minerals 2(1): 11-39.

open access

Fantastic information this is very much appreciated my friend! :)

11 minutes ago, Darko said:

Nice find :)

Thanks @Darko I’ll be sure to keep posting further finds in the future!