REAL? 3 Mosasaur Roots on Matrix

keithmegalodon

Hey TFF,

I know these mosasaur roots can be quite tricky to see if they have been restored/ faked roots or if they are real (well at least for me it is :) ) I found these mosasaur roots on matrix with the plaster to protect it and is being sold in a reliable website but was wondering if the roots of these teeth have been faked or if they are real. I just really like this piece and would really like to purchase it.

Thanks guys.

IMG_7756.JPG.b357c65b263a75476baf521f21fc2080.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG.d1c63562af263e52ff95485be4d7c31b.JPG

IMG_7758.JPG.20a1f6ac7e3090ec495486b254e829f5.JPG

The two with the nicer crowns look like composite to me. Perhaps crowns added to broken roots.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Those pictures are quite tiny. Larger images would be better for a proper ID.

But I agree with caldigger. The two "nicer" ones look like composites. They are also of a different morphology compared to the third tooth. The third tooth looks like the real deal.

What I think this is, is that they had a piece of matrix with one rooted tooth and two separate roots in it, and they composited in two extra teeth crowns to make it prettier.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

hi thank you for the replies. I messaged the seller and he replied back saying that there is no compositing in the specimen? The only way i would be purchasing this is knowing that it is 100% natural and no composites. Should I? Or if it is just worth purchasing.thank you

48 minutes ago, keithmegalodon said:

hi thank you for the replies. I messaged the seller and he replied back saying that there is no compositing in the specimen? The only way i would be purchasing this is knowing that it is 100% natural and no composites. Should I? Or if it is just worth purchasing.thank you

It is a decent composite if it is. The answer comes down to what price are you willing to pay to add it to your collection!

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Those pictures are quite tiny. Larger images would be better for a proper ID.

But I agree with caldigger. The two "nicer" ones look like composites. They are also of a different morphology compared to the third tooth. The third tooth looks like the real deal.

What I think this is, is that they had a piece of matrix with one rooted tooth and two separate roots in it, and they composited in two extra teeth crowns to make it prettier.

Hi LordTrilobite, so do you think that the teeth were from a different animal except for the third tooth? Based on what you guys have said, im still trying to think of it is now worth purchasing. 

16 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

It is a decent composite if it is. The answer comes down to what price are you willing to pay to add it to your collection!

Hey FossilDudeCO! Thanks for your reply. Should we just rule out -all natural? 

Its just that the seller said that it was all natural so there may be a possibility that there is no composite. ? Maybe? ?? Thanks

42 minutes ago, keithmegalodon said:

Hey FossilDudeCO! Thanks for your reply. Should we just rule out -all natural? 

Its just that the seller said that it was all natural so there may be a possibility that there is no composite. ? Maybe? ?? Thanks

Go for It! I know the seller. Whatever he says, he knows his stuff ;)

I would pass on this one. I don't know who is selling this but those two teeth look suspicious and people make mistakes as well. There are plenty of better specimens out there. Save your money.

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

I would pass on this one. I don't know who is selling this but those two teeth look suspicious and people make mistakes as well. There are plenty of better specimens out there. Save your money.

Hi LordTrilobite. Oh really? good thing I haven't purchased it yet but just told him to put it on hold. Thank you heaps.

I dunno, the top tooth in that closeup still has a join between the crown and root that looks a little too smooth imo.

As said, the seller is honest. If it's a composite that he's aware of, he'd state it.

That aside, this specimen looks somewhat okay. If you can't accept anything less than absolute certainty it's 100% original, then avoid it.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!