Wondering if this megalodon tooth could have come from a world class megalodon shark

mattbsharks

I recently acquired this megalodon tooth. It would have measured about 5.9 inches on the slant if the tip was intact, and measures 5.1 inches across. This question is for all you shark tooth dentition experts out there. I have never come across a megalodon tooth this big that appears to be a posterior which leads me to my first question, is it possible that this tooth came from a world class size megalodon with 7 inch teeth? I was also wondering what differentiates a megalodon from a chubutensis. I know that chubs have cusps, but it seems rather ambiguous to me with some megs appearing to have cusps or dips at the end of the blades.

Thanks,

Matt

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

@mattbsharks If its a posterior tooth I would definitely think so that the large front teeth could've been 7 inches plus, I've rarely seen posteriors get to this size but it definitely is one. As far as megs and chubs go, I don't know to much but I think where you find them and how prominent the cusps are differentiates them since they from very close but different time periods with chubs being earlier, but they are the same animal so early megs also appear to have cusps.

wow! that is awesome! It is pretty cool that this would have come from a giant shark! Thanks for all of the evolution info as well!

2 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

@mattbsharks If its a posterior tooth I would definitely think so that the large front teeth could've been 7 inches plus, I've rarely seen posteriors get to this size but it definitely is one. As far as megs and chubs go, I don't know to much but I think where you find them and how prominent the cusps are differentiates them since they from very close but different time periods with chubs being earlier, but they are the same animal so early megs also appear to have cusps.

48 minutes ago, Ryann10006 said:

@mattbsharks Np, I got beat in a bid and missed out on one like this a long time ago.

I feel you man. I was soooo ##### yesterday because I missed out on a lot of great whites with a deformed one in it. The seller had no idea and I got outbid at the last second! It had huge serrations near the tip and then a patch of blade where it was smooth like a mako with no serrations at all

8 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

@mattbsharks Yeah it sucks wow, but at least the fun is you never know whats going to appear the next day that could be better.

That's the way to look at it!