Mahantango Bryozoan

Rocky Stoner

Hi folks.

Still searching for a complete trilobite. The "Bit" count is over 80 now .... still hopeful though.

Anyway, I cracked open this densely populated plate of bryozoans. Several species were throughout this chunk.

I saved this split as it is probably the best (size) example of this particular species that I have found here so far.

Kind regards,

:)

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

Never give up hope! Nice bryozoan!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That is a lovely plate! :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've shattered so many beautiful plates looking for one specific thing.

Sort of pitiful. Have probably broken up enough really nice hash plates to have paved an entire wall of my office.

Regards,

:)

That is a fantastic specimen and example of a Fenestella like bryozoan. You have the central "basket" and several of the fan like "arms". Definitely a low energy depositional environment as otherwise the bryozoan would be smashed to bits. Great find!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hi Dave !

I visit your blog regularly, very nice presentation there and a fantastic resource/reference. Great job and thanks for the contribution.

Kindest regards.

4 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Hi Dave !

I visit your blog regularly, very nice presentation there and a fantastic resource/reference. Great job and thanks for the contribution.

Kindest regards.

Thanks, That's what it's there for. Sorry I have not updated in a year or so, been busy with a house move. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Wonderful example.

When you break a specimen, is there any chance of recovering the pieces and reassembling them with glue? It depends on the laziness factor I guess, but also on the method of digging/extraction and the tendency for pieces to go missing.

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Wonderful example.

When you break a specimen, is there any chance of recovering the pieces and reassembling them with glue? It depends on the laziness factor I guess, but also on the method of digging/extraction and the tendency for pieces to go missing.

Hi Wrawngellian, these are chunks just under the sod that were turned up with a small garden plow. The one pictured is of average size and most are about 1 to 2 inches thick. Many, like this one, are layered with the bryozoans. Some can be split several times exposing similar displays on each split. As far as piecing together neighboring chunks, that would be difficult as the ground was plowed, then tilled 2 times so the chunks are somewhat randomly placed (displaced) now.

BTW, I found 6 more trilo - bits (5 cephalons) last evening taking the "bit" count to over 100. About 80 were found in a 10' x 10' area of the new garden ...... but just moults.

Thanks for looking,

Kind regards :)

Archived