Couple of Missouri Unknowns

hobbitfeet

I found this first recently went to near Eureka.  To me is looks like a Ceraurus right genal spine.

IMG_0655.JPG

This second one group I bought at an fossil estate sale and it says unknown echinoderms Ralls county MO.

IMG_0656.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

On Highway MM I've found a number of these trilobite heads, this is the largest but I don't what it is.  Does anyone know of a good resource for fossil IDing in Eastern Missouri?

IMG_0659 3.jpg

21 minutes ago, hobbitfeet said:

I found this first recently went to near Eureka.  To me is looks like a Ceraurus right genal spine.

This is a Cheirurid librigena, or free cheek, not solely a genal spine. It looks to be mostly complete - nice find! 

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

When I see dark things in limestone in Eastern Missouri, I start contemplating teeth.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Hi @hobbitfeet!

Is that a loose blastoid that I see in your echinoderm pictures?!  :wub:

If it is indeed a blastoid, and it is indeed from Missouri as the label in the box states, perhaps it could be a Globoblastus sp.?  I just did a quick google search and that genus popped up and I think that it resembles what you have...

Nice acquisitions, and nice trilobite bits!

Monica

• I found this Informative 2

23 hours ago, hobbitfeet said:

On Highway MM I've found a number of these trilobite heads, this is the largest but I don't what it is.  

IMG_0659 3.jpg

The glabellar lobes and wide occipital ring are key features of a pterygometopid. 

A good match also found in eastern Missouri is:  Eomonorachus intermedius

figure from:

Ludvigsen, R. & Chatterton, B.D.E. (1982)
Ordovician Pterygometopidae (Trilobita) of North America.
Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 19(11):2179-2206   PDF LINK

IMG.jpg.478a36c84584e514355bf31d540188bf.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

15 hours ago, Monica said:

Hi @hobbitfeet!

Is that a loose blastoid that I see in your echinoderm pictures?!  :wub:

If it is indeed a blastoid, and it is indeed from Missouri as the label in the box states, perhaps it could be a Globoblastus sp.?  I just did a quick google search and that genus popped up and I think that it resembles what you have...

Nice acquisitions, and nice trilobite bits!

Monica

I also bought a box labeled cryptoblastus so it might be one that got misplaced for the sale.

• 2 years later...

Any update on that dark chunk? A fish find in the Ordovician would be significant, but I'm wondering what else it might be.

(This is Asa btw :) )

• 2 years later...