Cretaceous fish jaw?

squali

New Jersey campanian.

Found this a while back and haven't been able to get a good grasp on it's ID.  Of course when I first found It I thought it was a jaw piece with teeth. Yay! Then I put on my glasses.  Hmm.  The fish spines I've found aren't serrated. It's obviously split but maybe someone has seen this before. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

Edited: I believe this to be an enchodus jaw section thanks to the folks answering below.

IMG_1812.JPG

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Looks like a jaw. I might be seeing some teeth.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

They do have a tooth shape but there isn't much contrast or sign of enamel.  Though I'm not sure.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Definitely not sawfish. I think it's an enchodus jaw section with teeth on it. Usually the teeth on jaw sections don't have enamel on them. It's kind of weird how the teeth are bunched up in the right end of the first pic though. It looks like it is complete or close to complete. Cool find!

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I should of checked with my scope first .  They do appear to be teeth.  I agree not sawfish.  Enchodus is great with me.

I wonder what a beat up barracuda dentition looks like.  They appear conical at the base and some taper others appea more peg like at the base.

thanks for the responses so far.

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

I'm for Enchodus jaw.

IMG_1812.JPG.63b000db38ace3b51ff864c8db06aa4a.JPG.    IMG_1814.JPG.de20f2f745cd11cf53b6c551669cd189.JPG   IMG_1817.JPG.c80a7675bd37bb862057b73b526c220e.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you Tim, for your photo magic.

The contrast was what I was looking for.

I have found many enchodus parts but not a jaw like this.  The cudda dentition  I looked at had a similar base but tapered to a blade.  Could you or I change the title to replace "spine" with "jaw" ? 

Thank you all for looking and helping me see.  

I think barracudas first appeared during the early Eocene, so this can't possibly be from a cuda.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Edit:  this statement is incorrect:-Actually there is recent otolith evidence from the campanian of barracuda in New Jersey, but I can't hope against the physical evidence, definitely not the same crown as these possible teeth. -  It looks like fish bone so much that I can't convince myself that the conical shaped teeth are croc.  I'm thrilled that it's probably another piece of my favorite fish of the Cretaceous.

6 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

Definitely not sawfish. I think it's an enchodus jaw section with teeth on it. Usually the teeth on jaw sections don't have enamel on them. It's kind of weird how the teeth are bunched up in the right end of the first pic though. It looks like it is complete or close to complete. Cool find!

Thanks for your insight.  It took quite a while to find this specimen.  And in the end it was sitting high and proud on top of  an exposed, tiny piece of the formation.

waiting patiently.

54 minutes ago, squali said:

Actually there is recent otolith evidence from the campanian of barracuda in New Jersey, but I can't hope against the physical evidence, definitely not the same crown as these possible teeth.   It looks like fish bone so much that I can't convince myself that the conical shaped teeth are croc.  I'm thrilled that it's probably another piece of my favorite fish of the Cretaceous.

Does that mean there is a chance to find Barracuda teeth in the late cretaceous streams of nj? Or does it have to be some later formation that is latest cretaceous?

My apologies I am  mistaken regarding Sphyraena ( barracuda) being identified in the campanian.  To date none have been found.

It is always difficult to id specimens from pictures.  Plus it is always best to consider the most common ids first.  If you aren't 100% convinced on Enchodus jaw there are some other possibilities like a fragment of a Chimaeroid dorsal fin spine or Hybodus fin spine.  But usually the common possibility is the correct one.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thank you Marco Sr.  your input is always valued.  

As a follow through I did check the fossil piece against what I could find regarding the Chimaeroid and Hybodus.  More evidence that is Enchodus.

would anyone care to speculate whether this would be a juvenile? The robustness of the 'fang' of some specimens I have seem way out of proportion to this dentition.  I do have many small frontals on the order of 5-7mm.  So it's probable?

As I have learned on this great site from the great members.  Build evidence by elimination not supposition 

13 hours ago, squali said:

As a follow through I did check the fossil piece against what I could find regarding the Chimaeroid and Hybodus.  More evidence that is Enchodus.

I just wanted to give you some serrated fish fin spine possibilities from NJ because you had originally thought this specimen might be one.  Your specimen features definitely look more like a fish jaw.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Archived