Arkona 17/09/30

Kane

Yesterday, Deb and I spent four hours at our usual spot in Arkona looking specifically in the Widder Fm for Greenops and other related goodies. It was one of those lovely days where it isn't too hot or too chilly to get some real hammer time.

First up is the bench I'll be working. This is from the very beginning of the day, left and right shots. I've been working on this bench for the last four or so trips. Where all the tools are resting is just below the rich Tornoceras layer wherein are also found a higher probability of full Greenops. Much of the stuff on top of that is bits or just brachs, shale that is dense and shatters or just comes out in chips. For this trip, I'll be focusing on following the "Torno layer" to the left and right of this bench, but it may also require some approaches from the top, and that means a heck of a lot of overburden and blank shale to remove (and I forgot to bring the pickaxe this time - derp!).

IMG_4191.JPG

IMG_4192.JPG

And this is what it looked like after four hours. Sorry for the choppiness of the image as it was my attempt to stitch three shots in a panoramic. The second shot shows it from a distance, and the third shot where I am gradually connecting my bench to Deb's bench to the left.

fullsizeoutput_32a.jpeg

IMG_4200.JPG

IMG_4201.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

So what about the in-between time? I wouldn't say it was an all around greatest trip ever, but here are some notable finds. In the first ten minutes or so, a nice partial Greenops followed by a somewhat pitted Tornoceras. I've been having a lot of luck finding these bigger Tornos in the last few weeks. This was the only Torno I found this trip (it did break, so I have to glue it back together), and it wasn't as good as the other ones I've pulled in the last while.

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4194.JPG

Deb sifts through some of the debris from the last bench-making before getting started on her bench. By now they have weathered out a bit, but there was nothing much worth finding in the spoils.

IMG_4195.JPG

Second picture is an in situ of a Greenops curled into the matrix. I was having some early luck, and this would be followed by mostly bench-clearing and overburden duties as the rich Torno layer trail went cold. More on that Greenops later.

IMG_4196.JPG

A collection of partials. I bucket those for prep practice.

IMG_4205.JPG

Another partial, but interesting as it is a mini piggy pile.

fullsizeoutput_328.jpeg

A closeup of that pitted Tornoceras.

fullsizeoutput_326.jpeg

Deb finds a FULL prone Greenops. It's a tiny one, but intact. At this point she declared, "Ok, we can go home now." :P 

IMG_4202.JPG

Another piece Deb pulled from her bench: the associated pieces that went with her huge fish plate find from a few weeks ago.

UPDATE: I assembled these new pieces with the ones found a few weeks ago. They fit together. I'm still unsure of what part of the Protitanichthys sp. this matches with (dorsal median?). I have an idea where the rest of it might be, but it may take a lot of work as it is likely continuing into the wall.

IMG_4208.JPG

Just some very light and quick prep work on this one I pulled out, and it is very likely that this one is also FULL! It's going to take a lot more finesse and skill to prep this one out than I possess.

fullsizeoutput_327.jpeg

And finally a strange one that Deb found. Not quite sure what it could be, so any guesses would be appreciated. It's a fragment of... something, but of what I do not know. :headscratch:

So not a bad four hours, although the number of finds was not very big, mostly on account of doing a lot of preparatory and exploratory bench/overburden work that took up most of my time. 

On our way back, we got stuck in traffic on account of over 70 or so geese sauntering slowly in single file across the road. It was a sight to see. :) 

IMG_4209.JPG

Looks like a really fun trip.  Some of those look like they could be tuff to prep.  I see some scribe marks?   Do you have an air abrasive unit? 

RB

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Looks like a really fun trip.  Some of those look like they could be tuff to prep.  I see some scribe marks?   Do you have an air abrasive unit? 

RB

Thanks, Ron. :)

Some of these will be tricky. The marks are just from a Dremel (next step is to get an actual ARO). I've yet to fire up my air eraser today to continue practicing with the partial trilos. Still a lot for me to learn! 

Awesome trip, Kane! 

Glad you found some great things. 

Your mystery piece looks like a Phyllocarid mandible

Excellent finds, with the fish parts and mandible!

Go Deb!

Thanks for the report, bud. 

IMG_4209.JPG.412a66375debfacf507a51e31fc58964.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Awesome trip, Kane! 

Glad you found some great things. 

Your mystery piece looks like a Phyllocarid mandible

Excellent finds, with the fish parts and mandible!

Go Deb!

Thanks for the report, bud. 

Thanks, Tim! :) I was thinking it might be mandible, but I had never collected one from there before (and technically still haven't as Deb found it :D ). 

Looks like you and Deb scored some really nice finds. A very productive trip in my view. Congratulations to both of you. Definitely a site I'd love to check out some day.

Nice finds!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Excellent trip report as per usual.

Knowing that this was found at Arkona I would agree that your unknown could be a phylocarid mandible. If we meet up at Bowmanville I can clean it up for you. The only thing against it being phylocarid is that it looks quite thick skinned and the phylocarid material I have seen from there has been quite flimsy and not great preservation. 

Sweet Finds Kane! Lotta hard work there in those benches.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks, everyone. :) We're hoping to get out there a few more times before winter, so hopefully I can add more interesting finds to what has already been a pretty banner year for us already. 

On 10/1/2017 at 7:37 AM, Kane said:

Thanks, Ron. :)

Some of these will be tricky. The marks are just from a Dremel (next step is to get an actual ARO). I've yet to fire up my air eraser today to continue practicing with the partial trilos. Still a lot for me to learn! 

@Kane excellent report. Really looking forward to seeing the enrolled Greenops prepared. :popcorn:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Great finds, Kane!

BTW - Deb seems to be a good luck charm for finding cool fossils - lucky you! :)

Monica

12 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Kane excellent report. Really looking forward to seeing the enrolled Greenops prepared. :popcorn:

Thanks, Jason. :) That particular one is already being gifted to someone I know who can make it purty.

5 hours ago, Monica said:

Great finds, Kane!

BTW - Deb seems to be a good luck charm for finding cool fossils - lucky you! :)

Monica

Thanks, Monica! Yes, Deb is surely a good luck charm - in every possible way. Lucky certainly doesn't capture it. :) She has been making some excellent finds in the last while.

7 minutes ago, taj said:

Are you guys going to the Bowmanville quarry on october 15th?

We do plan on making the trip.

18 minutes ago, taj said:

Are you guys going to the Bowmanville quarry on october 15th?

Kane :We do plan on making the trip.

hum :a little bit too far away for me ( 9 hrs round trip) , so I'll pass this year , but I'm sure looking forward to your trip report !

12 minutes ago, crinus said:

Isn't Bowmanville the 22nd???

Yes, it is. 

Yes and now Arkona on the 20th..........and for some Brechin on the 21st...... a huge fossil weekend at three great localities.  

Taj I think you are underestimating the round trip time...............

40 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Yes and now Arkona on the 20th..........and for some Brechin on the 21st...... a huge fossil weekend at three great localities.  

Taj I think you are underestimating the round trip time...............

What? Brechin on the 21st? If only I could convince the missus to make the drive even though we'd be somewhat in the area. :( 

Archived