Kem Kem Vert

Flx

Hi
A couple of weeks ago I aquired some random bone fossils from the Kem Kem beds in southeast Morocco.

Among these fossils was also this small, incomplete (dino? crocodile?) vert. I was wondering if it is possible to ID it.

The width is about 13cm (5,1 inch) and the height is about 6cm (2.4inch).

Taking pictures that show the complex geometry is quite tricky... I hope the pics work for you.

kemkem_vert001.thumb.JPG.18ce677f95f17c6b3c58ee88c67628e8.JPG

kemkem_vert002.JPG

kemkem_vert004.JPG

kemkem_vert003.JPG

kemkem_vert008.JPG

kemkem_vert006.JPG

kemkem_vert007.JPG

As you can see there is some repair. However, as far as I can see all fragments belong to this vertebra (no creative reconstructions).

Thank you all for your feedback.

For me to learn: What are the features of the vertebra that makes you lean towards croc?

4 hours ago, Flx said:

Thank you all for your feedback.

For me to learn: What are the features of the vertebra that makes you lean towards croc?

Dino centrums are a bit more circular. The bone surrounding the neural cord IMG_0993.thumb.PNG.ded169062c50f08b533576a6e9eb5b67.PNGis also too thick for Dino. Turtles have a really low  neural arch and a process under The centrum. Croc centrums are very long compared to Dino centrums. They've also got a lot of bulk around the neural cord. Hope this helps!

7 minutes ago, The Speeding Carno said:

Dino centrums are a bit more circular. The bone surrounding the neural cord

That's not true for all. Sigilmassasaurus has centra that are much wider than tall in the back of the neck. Then again, this looks nothing like Sigilmassasaurus.

Due to the damage on the zygapophyses it's a little hard to tell which is the front. But it looks like the convex end of the centrum is on the posterior end, which makes it croc.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

That's not true for all. Sigilmassasaurus has centra that are much wider than tall in the back of the neck. Then again, this looks nothing like Sigilmassasaurus.

Due to the damage on the zygapophyses it's a little hard to tell which is the front. But it looks like the convex end of the centrum is on the posterior end, which makes it croc.

Hmmm, didn't know about that. Thanks for the info!

8 minutes ago, The Speeding Carno said:

Hmmm, didn't know about that. Thanks for the info!

For reference, a Sigilmassasaurus anterior dorsal vertebra. Wider than tall, but clearly very different from this vert.

fig-9-1x.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite