Bone ID help

Gallium

@ynot    I will try to get more pictures in a bit with a different angle. Not sure about this one being a vertebra, but definitely found several mastodon vertebra in the same area. It's a bit too tiny for it to be that though lol.

4 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

He might think, "I don't recognize this bone.  But, I'd bet it's an ankle bone from something big, like an elephant."   

You took the words out of My mouth (so to speak).

I just do not have any confidence in My meager knowledge of anatomy.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Well it comes from a site with tons of Mastodon fossils in the area so I wouldn't doubt it. I'll keep trying to dig up info and see if I can figure out which bone exactly it is. My knowledge of anatomy besides humans isn't great either lol.

@Stagmooser Thank you so much for the link, it will come in great use! I think the guess of the sesamoid is very close but they only have one flat side, where as mine has two.

@Harry Pristis I believe you are correct, thanks to the link provided by stagmooser, i was able to compare it to the specimens they have of the trapezium it looks a lot like it. Do you think you could provide your illustrations for another comparison? 

23 hours ago, Gallium said:

@Stagmooser Thank you so much for the link, it will come in great use! I think the guess of the sesamoid is very close but they only have one flat side, where as mine has two.

@Harry Pristis I believe you are correct, thanks to the link provided by stagmooser, i was able to compare it to the specimens they have of the trapezium it looks a lot like it. Do you think you could provide your illustrations for another comparison? 

I wish I could scan these illustrations, Gallium.  They are photographic, and don't scan very well.  I have a new scanner, and I will give it a try; but, I don't have high expectations.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived