Auction Prep equipment

ashcraft

I have been looking for some prep equipment.  I bought these for real cheap at an auction last weekend.  What have I got?  Don't assume that I know anything.

Brent Ashcraft

20171001_141453.jpg

20171001_141618.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

First picture says Covington equipment, second has a picture of Texas with "rocks" written in the middle of it.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Some sanders and a circular saw I think. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm no expert but looks like lapidary equipment - rock saws and grinder/polishers. They appear to be set up to run wet for water cooling/lubrication. I would closely inspect the wiring before plugging them up and starting to see how they function. You certainly want to avoid a bad wire sending current through the metal frame. Years ago when I was in grad school, I had a rough experience in the "rat lab." I idly touched the metal cabinet of a piece of cobbled together equipment and received a very painful shock. 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

You have bought some lapidary equipment. This is used to make cabochons., or polish larger pieces of rock.

It has nothing to aid in prep of fossils.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

45 minutes ago, ynot said:

You have bought some lapidary equipment. This is used to make cabochons., or polish larger pieces of rock.

It has nothing to aid in prep of fossils.

Agreed, not for a normal prep, but something I think I can use to cut and polish petrified wood for ID.  I think the saws will also be useful for cutting small slabs.  I really don't know how to use them.........help in that regard would especially be appreciated....even if direction to another forum more suited to the topic.

Too ignorant to even ask questions,

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

When using the saw, do not push the rock through, let the saw do the cutting. If You try to force the cut You will wear out the blade prematurely.

To polish the pieces- start with the coarse grit and work down to the finer grit.

Meny rock clubs will have a lapidary shop where You can learn how to do this with a qualified instructor. That will work much better than anything You can learn from reading.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hey @ashcraft, i use to have the very same set up (top photo), years ago until one day when I realized that I would never have enough time to do all the fossil prep I wanted to do, so I gave up the lapidary idea and sold it all.   But if you would do me a favor?   Those green colored stone wheels on that machine, if you ever find out what they are called iI would be very interested in knowing!!!   Those stones are fantastic for sharpening scribe tips.  I tried looking for one years ago and noone knew what i was even talking about, and here you are stumbling onto them!!!   I know those are old school and everything today is diamond, but would really love to get me one of those green stones, the finer one.  Thanks and good luck with your new tools.

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Hey @ashcraft, i use to have the very same set up (top photo), years ago until one day when I realized that I would never have enough time to do all the fossil prep I wanted to do, so I gave up the lapidary idea and sold it all.   But if you would do me a favor?   Those green colored stone wheels on that machine, if you ever find out what they are called iI would be very interested in knowing!!!   Those stones are fantastic for sharpening scribe tips.  I tried looking for one years ago and noone knew what i was even talking about, and here you are stumbling onto them!!!   I know those are old school and everything today is diamond, but would really love to get me one of those green stones, the finer one.  Thanks and good luck with your new tools.

RB

Would a carbide grinding wheel not work for your sharpening needs?

You have alot of very nice and sturdy lapidary equipment, notice the thickness of the shafts, this is meant to last ;)

On the first picture you have a wet diamond tablesaw, used for "freehand" cutting rocks, as said above let the blade do the work

The machine to the right with several wheels on is for grinding (sanding) stones, starting with the most coarse and moving to finer and finer grit.

The second picture seems to have two belt sanders (or one might be for polishing, but they are both hooked up to water witch suggests otherwise) and to the right another wet tablesaw with a guide for slicing your stones

When you decide to give it a go make sure the water is running to keep everything wet, usually the waterflow is gravity fed from a bucket or container half a meter or so in the air

Like others mentioned it might be a good idea to try a similar setup at a rock club before digging in, but if you like trial and error go for it 

Hey @Ptychodus04, I use to have those green stones and they worked super good for sharpening my air scribe tips.  Sharpened them all the time back in the day.  I thought the same thing that you do now, but believe me, they work great!!!  

RB