GatorBait

Hello everyone! I am new to TFF and am very excited for my future in paleontology! On my first trip to Hogtown Creek in Gainesville, Florida I came across an unusual find. While I hear that shark teeth are plentiful, I instead found this small, porous inch long or so object. It was found on the side of the creek, partially buried in some sand. I am not sure what this could be, perhaps a fossil or just some sort of wood? If anyone has any tips on where to look for fossils in the Gainesville area (specifically near the University of Florida) please don't hesitate to let me know! Thank you and have a great day!

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

Gotcha, thought it looked a little out of place! Thanks for replying! Hopefully I'll have better luck next time.

Welcome to the forum from central Maryland! There are plenty of fossils and fossil hunters in your area, I wish you the best of luck in finding them!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you for the kind words WhodamanHD...paleontology has always been my passion and I'm so excited to actually start participating in it!

Archived