Surprising articulated Florida find

jcbshark

Yesterday I had the pleasure of hunting with Garyc from Texas. This was the second time I've been able to hunt with him and it was a real pleasure to try and treat him to some fine Florida hunting. We haven't had as much rain as I was hoping for this week but we still managed some decent finds. My prize of the day is two part, last week I found a backpack full of giant land tortoise coming out of the side of a lake being dug and didn't think much of it tho I did grab it all to give to Calvinjenkins for his rock garden. This week walking the same spot I thought I saw a bunch of holmesina osteoderms but turns out they were turtle denticles....then the bones started coming out. I believe I got all that was there and think I have enough for most if not all of one foot. Would love if anyone could share some pics of one put together. As most Florida folks know we find tons of turtle material but is pretty rare to find anything together. Here's the foot pieced together as best I could for now.

IMG_0644.JPG

Here's the associated denticles

IMG_0645.JPG

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Are they frozen ? Is it possible in Florida ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

That is an absolutely amazing find jcb!

One question though, I was under the impression that only the fossils actually in water were legal to take?

Unless you were on private land of course!

A close up of the claw cores

IMG_0646.JPG

Here's a few decent shark teeth as well

52857715259__1B4BF7E5-4A90-4BD9-A4D1-0E157E973BD8.JPG

2 minutes ago, Coco said:

Coco

That's just our white sand Coco lol:)

Ah ah ah ! :rofl:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 minutes ago, Coco said:

Coco

Coco, I believe the white you see is sand. If it were that frozen in Florida at this time of year especially, I would say the next ice age is in full swing.

Great find Jeff, you never cease to amaze me with your finds.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

2 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

That is an absolutely amazing find jcb!

One question though, I was under the impression that only the fossils actually in water were legal to take?

Unless you were on private land of course!

Thanks Blake,I'm not aware of any such law here and certainly hope that's not the case

Just now, sixgill pete said:

Coco, I believe the white you see is sand. If it were that frozen in Florida at this time of year especially, I would say the next ice age is in full swing.

Great find Jeff, you never cease to amaze me with your finds.

Thanks Don, I was pretty amazed myself lol

Just now, sixgill pete said:

I was afraid ! This is why I asked the question... Poor people floridian that I imagined frozen in this beginning of october...

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

You have a great find there, now you need to get back the stuff that you gave away for the rock garden.

Just now, Nimravis said:

You have a great find there, now you need to get back the stuff that you gave away for the rock garden.

I did ask if I could get that stuff back to see if I can piece more together and Kevin said he was happy to lol

Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

man, those claw cores are nice.

I have seen quite a few spikes and dentricles and shell pieces, but not many claw cores, are they pretty uncommon?

Great finds Jeff.  I am glad you are getting out and then to find articulated material is special. I like the one with the FAT root.. oh they all have fat roots..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Can we get more photos of the unguals singly from various views? Awesome find!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Hopefully these images will help. Not the same species, but Meiolania was a giant turtle/tortoise.

downloadfile-8.jpg

downloadfile-6.jpg

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

12 hours ago, RJB said:

Cool stuff!

RB

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice!

11 hours ago, ynot said:

Sweet find Jeff!

Love to see it all together.

9 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@jcbshark excellent discoveries. Really like the teeth.

11 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Great finds Jeff.  I am glad you are getting out and then to find articulated material is special. I like the one with the FAT root.. oh they all have fat roots..

Thank you folks:)

11 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Can we get more photos of the unguals singly from various views? Awesome find!

Thanks for the pics Skyelar, I'll try to get some more when I get off work:)

Amazing finds!!!!!

Was it the result of hurricane erosion or a fresh excavation. Like to find positives whenever something nasty happens. So I am hoping the hurricane helped expose this.

Mike

PS  The fact that the hurricane left your house untouched is already a positive. AND that it was not snow in your picture.

11 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

man, those claw cores are nice.

I have seen quite a few spikes and dentricles and shell pieces, but not many claw cores, are they pretty uncommon?

I don't think I've ever found a claw core from one of these before, the look a lot more like the sloth claws and seem a lot less dense in composition. 

6 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Amazing finds!!!!!

Was it the result of hurricane erosion or a fresh excavation. Like to find positives whenever something nasty happens. So I am hoping the hurricane helped expose this.

Mike

PS  The fact that the hurricane left your house untouched is already a positive. AND that it was not snow in your picture.

Thanks Mike lol, this is a new development where they're digging lakes for fill. Not much rain since Irma went by so feel lucky to have even spotted this. Going to try and sift some of the nearby area and maybe find some more of this guy. The way it looks tho is The majority was picked up by the excavators and spread already:wacko:

What an excellent find, Jeff! That is a bit different for you to find associated bits. Glad you were there to collect them before it was all scattered and destroyed. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Archived