A Few Philosophical Thoughts On Fossil Collecting

Link

Here we go...

1. A lot of the information paleontologists get from a fossil comes from the fossil's location. Are we doing future paleontologists a disservice by moving fossils around, both in terms of location and in terms of the geological time period?

2. Sailors have burials at sea. Astronauts and the writers of Star Trek have burials in space. Shouldn't we give paleontologists burials in tar pits? Or in amber? Or in coffins made of petrified wood?

Here we go...

1. A lot of the information paleontologists get from a fossil comes from the fossil's location. Are we doing future paleontologists a disservice by moving fossils around, both in terms of location and in terms of the geological time period?

2. Sailors have burials at sea. Astronauts and the writers of Star Trek have burials in space. Shouldn't we give paleontologists burials in tar pits? Or in amber? Or in coffins made of petrified wood?

Where's the blue food? Blueberries? nope, they're purple!

1....Are we doing future paleontologists a disservice by moving fossils around, both in terms of location and in terms of the geological time period?

I certainly hope so!

2.... Shouldn't we give paleontologists burials in tar pits? Or in amber? Or in coffins made of petrified wood?

Why not? (So long as they're already dead...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Why not dump them in the active margin of a river delta?

Paleontologists should be buried in such a way that they can be petrified and preserved for millenia. Maybe in tree sap or peat bogs...

Note...all palentologist corpses should be marked for C 14 testing..... :D

Be true to the reality you create.

I feel that paleontologists should be buried where they will fossilize...

rock hounds should be dumped in lava. haha.

mineral people should hidden in a cave.

I plan on living forever... so far, so good!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex