Keichousaurus Question????

snolly50

Nope it's not another "Is it real post."

We see many slabs posted inquiring if one of the guys is real or "fake." That auction site is full of offers of Keich plates.

Has anyone ever seen another species preserved on one of these plates? I haven't. What did they eat? From their teeth I assume fish, but where are they? Perhaps they ate soft bodied inverts that did not preserve. However, one would think with that fine-grained matrix something would show up. 

Has anyone seen anything else preserved on one of these plates?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I've wondered the same thing myself. It will be intresting to see what others say...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Nope it's not another "Is it real post."

We see many slabs posted inquiring if one of the guys is real or "fake." That auction site is full of offers of Keich plates.

Has anyone ever seen another species preserved on one of these plates? I haven't. What did they eat? From their teeth I assume fish, but where are they? Perhaps they ate soft bodied inverts that did not preserve. However, one would think with that fine-grained matrix something would show up. 

Has anyone seen anything else preserved on one of these plates?

Sinoeugnathus, Asialepidotus, Peltopleurus, Guizhouniscus, Brachisomus, Xingyia and Guizhouamia are all from the Keichousaurus bearing horizons around Xingyi

New discovered fishes from Keichousaurus bearing Horizon of Late Triassic in Xingyi of Guizhou.pdf

Triassic Fishes from Kueichow South-west China chin.pdf

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

@oilshale thanks for the illumination!

I will read these (well look at the pictures of one); but still want to see a slab with associated species.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

5 hours ago, snolly50 said:

thanks for the illumination!

I will read these (well look at the pictures of one); but still want to see a slab with associated species.

Uppss, sorry, there is also an English version: Triassic Fishes from Kueichow South-West China.pdf

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

7 hours ago, oilshale said:

there is also an English version

THANKS! 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if using acetone on a cotton ball to wipe over a keich fossil will harm the fossil in any way? Will any fossilized bone be destroyed by doing that?

I would not wipe a cottonball on any fossil that has sticky out bits, like vertebral processes and so forth.  A well prepared K is full of three dimensional bones and the cotton strands could catch on these and break them off.  

And just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?  Is it dirty?  Is there gobs of extra glue on it?  

On 10/21/2017 at 10:33 AM, Anngottesman said:

Does anyone know if using acetone on a cotton ball to wipe over a keich fossil will harm the fossil in any way? Will any fossilized bone be destroyed by doing that?

No it won't. I washed and scrubbed acetone on a Keich of mine, and this happened:

post-4888-0-11432600-1402242500.jpg

The head, tail and some fingers are supposed carved and painted, while the main body is real. It helped me prove a case to get a refund from the seller.

You can see more on the case in this thread:

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 10/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, Anngottesman said:

I assume you are looking to unmask any painting mischief. I have found that a through peep with a 10X loupe will reveal paint (check the margins and look for "flatness" when it should be 3-D). If it is paint you wish to detect, then this method will not mar the appearance, as the acetone would; should the piece turn out to be painted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you snolly50! But there is part of the fossil that appears to authentic rib bones but a few are not dug out fully so it's only very slightly raised. And I've heard sometimes a person can carve a bone shape from the matrix and paint it , so it could be raised and still have paint. Therefore I was wondering if acetone on a cotton ball causes any damage to the fossil. What will acetone do to a fossil if I wipe it with a cottonball with acetone? I don't see how that would be harmful, but...?Thanks again!

11 minutes ago, Anngottesman said:

What will acetone do to a fossil if I wipe it with a cottonball with acetone? I

The acetone will have no effect on the fossil, but as others have said, the cotton will snag on the small parts and pull them off- damaging the fossil.

The best way to tell is to examine it under magnification.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just saw others answers. Seems like some think acetone is harmful and others don't. My fossil seems authentic and I can't see any paint under my 30x loop but just wanted to try the acetone to make sure. Under a black light it doesn't not show anything suspicious but I've read that lead paint won't show under black light. Just want to be sure. 

8 minutes ago, Anngottesman said:

Just saw others answers. Seems like some think acetone is harmful and others don't. My fossil seems authentic and I can't see any paint under my 30x loop but just wanted to try the acetone to make sure. Under a black light it doesn't not show anything suspicious but I've read that lead paint won't show under black light. Just want to be sure. 

If You can not see anything wrong under 30x magnification then it is real.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived