Unidentified leaf from the Permian of Lodève, France

paleoflor

Hello Forum,

Hopefully one of you is able and willing to help me with the identification of the leaf in the photograph below. It is approximately 1.5 cm long and was found in the lower Permian (Autunian) of Lodève, Languedoc, France. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Tim

20171001_230345.thumb.png.a87356bac7072382723dbb4c0bb6da20.png

Searching for green in the dark grey.

I think it might be something similar to the ones from this topic:

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The Permian ginkgoopsids I know of had more divided leaves (Baiera, etc.), while this one is entire. Do you have a particular ginkgoopsid genus or species in mind?

The genus Nothorhacopteris is confined to the southern hemisphere. But you have a point there, it does look quite similar. Perhaps Rhacopteris should be considered as possible option. Thanks!

I thought the same thing about the entireness of this leaf. But I wasn't thinking of any Permian taxon in particular - just thought it looked like it could be in that group.

@paleoflor 

Found this online:                   LINK

Fig-4-Taxa-of-Noeggerathiales-that-occur

Wondering if Palaeopteridium is a possibility?  :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hadn't heard of Palaeopteridium before. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. At Fossiel.net (Dutch fossil forum), I was urged to reconsider the ginkgoopsids. To investigate this option further, I looked up Doubinger (1956) "Contribution a l'étude des flores Autuno-Stéphaniennes" in the library. Besides the Permian ginkgoopsid genera I was familiar with (Baiera, Sphenobaiera, Trichopitys - all deeply divided leaf forms), Doubinger also mentions Ginkgophyllum (also divided) and Ginkgoites (more similar to Ginkgo biloba) from the Permian of France. This means that, by contrast to what I wrote above, leaf shape does not need to be an issue. As such, it is quite well possible that we are dealing with some ginkgoopsid here!

The image below shows a scan of Plate XVI of Doubinger (1956), featuring (1) Ginkgophyllum grasseti, (2) Sphenobaiera sp., (3) Ginkgophyllum grasseti, (4) Baiera raymondi, (5) Ginkgoites lodevensis, (6) Ginkgophyllum grasseti, and (7) Dolerophyllum pseudo-peltatum. Specimens (1-3, 5-6) come from the Autunian of Lodève, (4) from the Autunian of Blanzy, and (7) from the Stephanian of Decazeville.

59e3b234e309e_Doubinger(1956)PlateXVI.thumb.jpg.d44c686ffb2dae0acd4a3e2542870ff4.jpg59e3b2366b7a4_Doubinger(1956)Text-Figure20.thumb.jpg.452980801a29ca1d52afe9079540e107.jpg

Of the specimens featured by Doubinger (1956), Ginkgoites lodevensis may come somewhat close to my specimen (see also Figure 20, an interpretation sketch of Plate XVI, 5). Unfortunately, this species appears to be based on one single specimen only (the one figured), which makes it impossible to have a decent comparison (my specimen represents a much smaller leaf and there can be considerable variations in leaf shape). In the text (p. 144-145), Doubinger also mentions Ginkgoites martenensis Renault 1888 and a Ginkgoites sp. from the Autunian of Veuvrotte (the latter without referene to published work). Hopefully I can find the relevant literature for these occurrances.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much information on Palaeopteridium (or the other noeggerathians for that matter) from the Permian of Europe...

• I found this Informative 2