Haida Gwaii trip

JustPlainPetrified

I was holidaying on Haida Gwaii (previously known as Queen Charlotte Islands) and had an afternoon on a beach near Tlell. We were actually keeping our eyes peeled for agates but I did come up with one interesting nugget. Maybe somebody knows what this might be?

DSCN3770_LI resized.jpg

DSCN3771_LI resized.jpg

Agate resized.jpg

DSCN3504 resized.jpg

DSCN3510 resized.jpg

DSCN3526 resized.jpg

DSCN3561resized.jpg

DSCN3641resized.jpg

• JustPlainPetrified changed the title to Haida Gwaii trip
2 minutes ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

I was holidaying on Haida Gwaii (previously known as Queen Charlotte Islands) and had an afternoon on a beach near Tlell. We were actually keeping our eyes peeled for agates but I did come up with one interesting nugget. Maybe somebody knows what this might be?

DSCN3770_LI resized.jpg

DSCN3771_LI resized.jpg

Agate resized.jpg

DSCN3504 resized.jpg

DSCN3510 resized.jpg

DSCN3526 resized.jpg

DSCN3561resized.jpg

DSCN3641resized.jpg

The mask is made of human hair, bear fur, shells and cedar wood. It is used in a potlatch dance/ceremony by the Haida culture. The stone is a white agate. The photo of the coastline is from the top of Tow Hill at the north end of Graham Island on Haida Gwaii. The colourful totem is the latest one installed and we were lucky to learn of its location. It is not on any of the current brochures and was raised only two weeks earlier near Tow Hill across the Hiellen River on Haida Gwaii. 

Is there a geologic age associated with these rocks (or better a formation)?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

I did some checking but rocks along the shore aren't always the best indicators of strata. "The Haida Formation is a geologic formation in British Columbia. It preserves fossils dating back to the Cretaceous period." That's about as close as I would give this

Then my first guess would be an inoceramid (perhaps inoceramus itself)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

They remind me of cone-in-cone structures.

cone_cone1.thumb.jpg.8b611eb91bd2a10777cde94925627853.jpgcone_cone_top_view.thumb.jpg.07c2adc46b993f184dba746a9d578c52.jpg

pictures from here

Also, here are some nice examples. One of them:

plate17.jpg.8bc8a615f7d20bd8fcb6498bc7dd4da9.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived