GatorBait

Hello everyone! My latest trip into the creeks of Gainesville proved quite successful, quite a few dozen shark teeth found, as well as some other questionable pieces. Can anyone confirm if these are fossils and if so what kind, or just stones? Collected from Rattlesnake Creek. Thank you and happy hunting!

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

Yeah I knew the bottom picture was snaggle tooths just wanted to share them. Thanks for the info on the ray teeth! That's exciting :)

The large black piece in the first picture is a bone fragment, probably from the Ice Age given your location. 

CD

57 minutes ago, GatorBait said:

I thought it looked a tad peculiar. Any idea what it could be? Thanks for the reply and information!

Need to see better pictures of it from multiple angles / sides.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 hours ago, ynot said:

Need to see better pictures of it from multiple angles / sides.

Do these help? I am running into trouble due to the photo limit. 

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

After a little digging (pun intended) into your area's geological history, it appears that the part of Florida you live in is largely exposed to fossils from the Miocene Epoch (approx. 5-23 million years ago). Due to the rather indistinct nature of your specimen, I cannot tell you where or what exactly it came from, especially since there were so many animals in Florida during the Miocene and the following periods. Since you mentioned a creek, I also found out University of Florida students frequently use creeks in the area as good sources of Miocene fossils (Hawthorne Formation). If I had to guess on what your fossil is, I would say it is a fragment from a scapula, given the way that the process/tubercle (raised part) branches into a "Y" shape (I'll include a picture). As for what animal it belonged to, options include ancient boars, tapirs and horses. 

Inkedscapula _LI.jpg

CD

4 hours ago, coled18 said:

After a little digging (pun intended) into your area's geological history, it appears that the part of Florida you live in is largely exposed to fossils from the Miocene Epoch (approx. 5-23 million years ago). Due to the rather indistinct nature of your specimen, I cannot tell you where or what exactly it came from, especially since there were so many animals in Florida during the Miocene and the following periods. Since you mentioned a creek, I also found out University of Florida students frequently use creeks in the area as good sources of Miocene fossils (Hawthorne Formation). If I had to guess on what your fossil is, I would say it is a fragment from a scapula, given the way that the process/tubercle (raised part) branches into a "Y" shape (I'll include a picture). As for what animal it belonged to, options include ancient boars, tapirs and horses. 

Inkedscapula _LI.jpg

Thank you very much! That is very exciting to hear indeed! I will have to consult Dr. Hulbert of the Florida Museum of Natural History for a proper species identification. Thank you again for the insight and effort you have provided for me!

Archived