Fish Scale Isle of Wight

Brittle Star

Here is a Hoplopteryx lewesiensis fish scale found in the lower chalk at the end of Yaverland Beach Isle of Wight. (1 mile walk from entrance point), I only saw a tiny bit of black on the surface, so that went into my rucksack and after a lot of careful prep this complete scale came out. Well worth the slog to get there.

YVLA-002 Hoplopteryx lewesiensis Fish scale.jpg

Never ask a starfish for directions

That's a beauty - what prepping techniques did you use?

(By the way, you might want to start a thread or threads for this sort of post in "Member Collections" - perhaps grouped by location or fossil type.  This section is for more generalised queries and discussion.)

Tarquin

Thanks for the hint Tarquin. Will do that next time. Saves starting a new topic each time I want to post from the same area.

All I did was get the smallest needle I could find and work under my microscope barely touching with the needle parallel to the chalk, wearing away the chalk rather than picking at it, then gently get a small soft paintbrush and water and wash away the chalk dust, repeat, repeat, you get the idea then cover with paraloid.

What an amazing specimen! Well done on the tedious prep work! :)

Moved the post to the correct area, for you. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you, you are all such a helpful bunch. Can you move my microfossils here too?

10 minutes ago, Brittle Star said:

Thank you, you are all such a helpful bunch. Can you move my microfossils here too?

I could, but I think that topic is fine under the Micro-Paleontology Forum. 
But let me know, I can move it if you would prefer to have it moved here. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Brittle Star said:

Thanks for the hint Tarquin. Will do that next time. Saves starting a new topic each time I want to post from the same area.

All I did was get the smallest needle I could find and work under my microscope barely touching with the needle parallel to the chalk, wearing away the chalk rather than picking at it, then gently get a small soft paintbrush and water and wash away the chalk dust, repeat, repeat, you get the idea then cover with paraloid.

Very good result and my favourite sort of prepping! I have most of the standard pneumatic tools but my last few specimens have been done much like yours, under a microscope with scalpel, point and brushes. Quiet and restful. :)  

Tarquin

If you prepped that yourself, then you are a self-taught god. That scale looks pristine.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thank you so much, I do all of my own prepping with minimal tools. No fancy air thingy. I prefer to keep everything as natural as I can. I have never sold anything I have found so no need. I have seen an example of a Brittle Star found in the Isle of Wight, not a tiny thing like mine but actually big enough to see, the surface detail was totally gone due to an abrader, removed the matrix around it but the specimen itself was just smooth. Such a shame. New species as well. Chalk is so easy to work with as long as you have patience and no social life. :)

Archived