Oxford Museum of Natural History

Brittle Star

After visiting the Natural History Museum in Oxford England last year, I really recommend it, London eat your heart out. Easy to get to via train, within walking distance of rail station.

I think the displays of fossils are well laid out around the outside of the gallery as well as the larger ones in the middle. I hope to take more photos of the displays as I am going again this year.

Well worth a visit, prefer it to the NHM in London. Their website is: http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/

Natural History Museum Oxford.JPG

Natural History Museum Oxford dino.JPG

Natural History Museum Oxford Duck Billed Dinosaur skull.JPG

Natural History Museum Oxford Duck Billed Dinosaur.JPG

Natural History Museum Oxford from the Cafe 1.JPG

Natural History Museum Oxford T Rex Skull.JPG

Natural History Museum Oxford Triceratops.JPG

Never ask a starfish for directions

Oh yes it is fantastic place indeed and if you got a little more energy leftover, I recommend the Pitt Rivers Museum too, also in oxford  Great post thank you.

kind regards Bobby 

I would have loved to visit that museum, but the problem is that I don't live the UK :(

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

13 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I would have loved to visit that museum, but the problem is that I don't live the UK :(

If your ever in London it is just under an hour by train. London to oxford. Oxford is a nice old town.too. Kind regards  Bobby

15 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

If your ever in London it is just under an hour by train. London to oxford. Oxford is a nice old town.too. Kind regards  Bo

How to you take a train to there straight from America? Did I not say that I don't live in the UK?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

8 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

How to you take a train to there straight from America? Did I not say that I don't live in the UK?

Ok I said if you are ever in London no need to take that tone. 

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

Ok I said if you are ever in London not need to take that tone. 

oh, sorry.

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

oh, sorry.

Actually it is comments like that can ruin this forum for some members. But I accept your apology and thanks.

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Actually it is comments like that can ruin this forum for some members. But I accept your apology and thanks.

Ah, okay. I didn't put anger in the post, but I guess the tone could have been interpreted as it. Guess I gotta put in more bland tones next time :blink:

8 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Ah, okay. I didn't put anger in the post, but I guess the tone could have been interpreted as it. Guess I gotta put in more bland tones next time :blink:

Not bland just polite 

3 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

This is the reason we have emoticons. ;) 

It is difficult to interpret tone on the internet, in writing. :zen:

Consider carefully phrasing your answers in such a way as to not inflict unintentional sarcasm or anger. This is a skill, like any other. Practice makes perfect. :D 

Carefully reading answers also plays a part. When skimming through posts, it's easy to miss something. :blush:

Example: 

"Did I not say that I didn't live in England?"  (to me) implies impatience and scorn, and could have been better received if it had read, ...

"I mentioned earlier that I don't live in England. ;)  Too bad there isn't a bus directly from California! :P "

Conversely, no reply was even necessary, as Bobby did say, "If you are ever in London,..." 

I took that to mean he was just trying to be helpful, ... not just to you, but anyone who may find themselves in London.  :unsure: 

A simple "Oh, Thanks,... good to know." would have no doubt been a better reply, if you felt one was required. ;) 

Bottom line is, it is always better here, to soften your internet tone by use of emoticons, to convey the spirit of your posts. :D 

It is easy for things to turn ugly without any tone setting.  :( 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

ok

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

What do You mean by that!!!!:P

:rofl:

:angry: 

(just kidding :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

On 04/10/2017 at 2:16 PM, Brittle Star said:

After visiting the Natural History Museum in Oxford England last year, I really recommend it, London eat your heart out. Easy to get to via train, within walking distance of rail station.

I think the displays of fossils are well laid out around the outside of the gallery as well as the larger ones in the middle. I hope to take more photos of the displays as I am going again this year.

Well worth a visit, prefer it to the NHM in London. Their website is: http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/

About time someone brought some British fossils to the show.........we did invent dinosaurs after all. :ighappy:

Oxford actually stores some of the most iconic and significant dinosaur fossil discoveries, including many of the early finds of the first ever described dinosaur- Megalosaurus. The real trophy item would be the famous Megalosaurus dentary that just makes me salivate at the sight of on the web alone. I look forward to seeing the pics online and will definitely be taking that train there myself one day as its the only major dino collection in the U.K I've still to see,  not being resident myself in America as some of us here aren't in fact. ;)

18 hours ago, Killclaw said:

About time someone brought some British fossils to the show.........we did invent dinosaurs after all. :ighappy:

Oxford actually stores some of the most iconic and significant dinosaur fossil discoveries, including many of the early finds of the first ever described dinosaur- Megalosaurus. The real trophy item would be the famous Megalosaurus dentary that just makes me salivate at the sight of on the web alone. I look forward to seeing the pics online and will definitely be taking that train there myself one day as its the only major dino collection in the U.K I've still to see,  not being resident myself in America as some of us here aren't in fact. ;)

Hi killclaw just a heads up . If you have not seen this traveling exhibit     http://www.dinosaursofchina.co.uk/ in Nottingham I thought it was interesting not just because of the amazing Chinese fossils on show but some of the fossil are displayed in and around the museum's natural history collection. So you can compare the fossils to some modern taxidermy . I  think it on to the end of October . Check it out if you have not already.

You can probably can tell I am really into museums too. If you know of a museum that you think I or some people may not know about please post it hear or in its own post if you have photos. 

Cheers Bobby 

Looks like I'll be putting a trip to Oxford on my calendar soon! Thanks for sharing, I probably wouldn't have known about this otherwise. It looks like a wonderful collection. :wub:

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Oh yes it is fantastic place indeed and if you got a little more energy leftover, I recommend the Pitt Rivers Museum too, also in oxford  Great post thank you

Hi, I think I have been to that one, if it is the one you get to from the other museum and it is really dark inside and load of objects crammed into small glass cases, hardly any labels, shrunken heads stuff used in rituals and lots of things on walls on the outside. Then yes I have been, did not stop long, must be sensitive the place gave me the creeps, dark in more ways than one, could not wait to get out and I love museums.

Sorry you did not like it . For me it is wonderfully creepy anthropological museum that houses now a treasure trove of half a million objects from around the world.  With out any computers, interactive displays or shiny modern gimmickry ,it is purely just the most amazing cabinet of curiosities ever compiled. Where else can you see a Witch in a bottle ? I think most of it is labelled with both typed and handwritten.

I suppose it is an aquired taste. Different strokes for different folks.:)

IMG_0808.JPG

On October 10, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry you did not like it . For me it is wonderfully creepy anthropological museum that houses now a treasure trove of half a million objects from around the world.  With out any computers, interactive displays or shiny modern gimmickry ,it is purely just the most amazing cabinet of curiosities ever compiled. Where else can you see a Witch in a bottle ? I think most of it is labelled with both typed and handwritten.

I suppose it is an aquired taste. Different strokes for different folks.:)

IMG_0808.JPG

That is so neat! I love little oddities and curiosities like this. Was this from the traveling exhibit you mentioned earlier?

On 13/10/2017 at 8:34 PM, thelivingdead531 said:

That is so neat! I love little oddities and curiosities like this. Was this from the traveling exhibit you mentioned earlier?

Sorry for the delay in the response.  No this is from The Pit Rivers museum in oxford. I think it is one of the most interesting and eclectic museum in the country. Also I am lead too believe that they display over 95% of their collection. If you like looking at cabinets of curiosities then this mother load. Please have a look on line. 

cheers Bobby 

IMG_0815.JPG

Thanks for your photo. They must have been saving on electricity when I went last year, looked nothing like your photo, I might not have been so creeped out if it had been as bright as in your photo.

Going off to Oxford again on Monday so I may get to take some more photos of the fossil exhibits round the edge of the NHM gallery and meeting Hilary and getting a peek behind the scenes in the prep lab when I pick up my specimens I left there last year.

I am back from Oxford, had a brilliant time and had a sneak peak behind the scenes in the prep lab, thanks Hilary. Here are a few photos, more over the weekend when I have resized them to post.

1st one is a replica Megalosaurus jaw on show in the museum, I saw the original while Juliet was working on making another replica to go to the USA. The next is a Stratesaurus taylori being kept in drawers. I did take a photo of the card I will post that soon with other things. Enjoy

Megolosaurus jaw.jpg

Stratesaurus taylori Oxford NHM.jpg

Archived