Tex

Mazon Creek locations

Tex

The week of Thanksgiving, my son will be graduating from Navy Basic Training in Great Lakes. My 10 year old son and I will be coming up to see him graduate. On the way home, I'd like to stop off and have a look at Mazon Creek and see if we can't pick up a few fossils. I saw on line that there is a park you can hunt at, but it apparently is only opened during summer months. Does anyone know anywhere that my little one (he's 10, but autistic, so he's not quit up to speed with other 10 year olds yet) and I can have a fairly quick stop to find a few?

Also, I've read about the nodules you crack open. Any tips on how to tell a nodule with a fossil from just an ordinary old rock? And are there any other type fossils to look for?

Thank you for any tips.

Nimravis
8 hours ago, Tex said:

The week of Thanksgiving, my son will be graduating from Navy Basic Training in Great Lakes. My 10 year old son and I will be coming up to see him graduate. On the way home, I'd like to stop off and have a look at Mazon Creek and see if we can't pick up a few fossils. I saw on line that there is a park you can hunt at, but it apparently is only opened during summer months. Does anyone know anywhere that my little one (he's 10, but autistic, so he's not quit up to speed with other 10 year olds yet) and I can have a fairly quick stop to find a few?

Also, I've read about the nodules you crack open. Any tips on how to tell a nodule with a fossil from just an ordinary old rock? And are there any other type fossils to look for?

Thank you for any tips.

Tex,

Unfortunately, the collecting season ended for the year on 9-30-17. If you send me a PM, I would be happy to send a few unopened concretions that you and your son can freeze and thaw and hopefully you will find something. I just may throw in a few Mazon Creek fossils from opened concretions.

Tex

Thank you. I'll pm you.

They have a season there? Is it a state law thing, or just weather conditions and all? Or is it just the park that you mean has a season?

CBOB

Fossil Collecting is March 1- Sept 30 at Mazonia.  There are signs posted.  There is waterfowl hunting and deer hunting which starts soon after I think which is why they don't want you wandering around there.  

Tex

Oh, ok. Thank you. Do it’s just Mazon Creek, not the whole state? 

Is there anywhere else else I should check out then?

Rob Russell

Hey Tex. 

As far as I know that's the only public access for collecting concretions, unfortunately.  

Tex

Oh, ok. Thank you. Makes more sense.