Detroit Mineral & Fossil Show - Has anyone been to it?

Peat Burns

Has anyone ever been to the Greater Detroit Mineral, Gem, and Fossil Show (coming up in mid-October)?  If so, can you comment on the number of vendors and diversity and quality of fossils available for sale?

20161121_063130.thumb.jpg.bfbdaf82772a645923180d5e2e25571c.jpg

@Peat Burns

I have been to this event several times over the past few years and I love it. There seems to be a good mix of gems and minerals and a decent amount of fossils. I don't have anything to compare it to as far as size of the site, but you can spend the better part of a day, if you want to see it all. This is where I got this beauty last year, It looks like it will be almost all there!  I am meeting this vendor at this years show and already have purchased more fossils in matrix! ( A really nice turtle and some more oreodont material).  I feel like a kid two weeks before Christmas, cant wait. Would love to meet up if you decide to go.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Why is this event missing from the forum's calendar?

Because no one posted it there. ;) 

The system is only as good as the data put into it. :D 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, @aerogrower.  That's very helpful.  I'm interested in taxa that aren't well represented in my collection, including things as mundane (to many :)) as brachiopods.  I'm considering going, but will have to check my schedule.  I'll let you know if I can make it.

4 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Thanks, @aerogrower.  That's very helpful.  I'm interested in taxa that aren't well represented in my collection, including things as mundane (to many :)) as brachiopods.  I'm considering going, but will have to check my schedule.  I'll let you know if I can make it.

Glad to help a little anyway. Not sure on how far a trip for you but I'm an hour away almost and wouldn't miss it. Hope to see you and other forum members out there. 

I am always at this show, only because they con me into putting in displays.  I will be putting in a display of Ontario trilobites.  Haven't decided on the other case but may make it Ontario crinoids but not 100% sure.

The show is very good if you are a mineral collector.  There are some fossils but not a lot.  It is a good size show taking up most of the Athletic building of Macomb college.  If you are looking for high end, specialized fossils then this is not the show for you. Doesn't mean that you can't find something and get a good deal. You just never know what some dealer may bring. I go to the show only because of the displays I put in.  Otherwise I would not be going to it.  Minerals are pretty and pricey but they are not something I collect. 

I guess it all depends on far you are from it.  I am about an hour from the show, but because of the displays, they pay all of my expenses.  So I don't mind making the trips.  Because of the displays I have to make three round trips over the course of the show.   If you are an hour or so away it is well worth it. 

Joe

PS: I AM NOT "Paleo Joe".  Don't mix me up with him.

@crinus I agree with your take. I enjoy seeing the gems and minerals but don't really buy any. Look forward to the displays and me personally would love to see a crinoid display. See you there maybe.

23 minutes ago, crinus said:

I am always at this show, only because they con me into putting in displays.  I will be putting in a display of Ontario trilobites.  Haven't decided on the other case but may make it Ontario crinoids but not 100% sure.

The show is very good if you are a mineral collector.  There are some fossils but not a lot.  It is a good size show taking up most of the Athletic building of Macomb college.  If you are looking for high end, specialized fossils then this is not the show for you. Doesn't mean that you can't find something and get a good deal. You just never know what some dealer may bring. I go to the show only because of the displays I put in.  Otherwise I would not be going to it.  Minerals are pretty and pricey but they are not something I collect. 

I guess it all depends on far you are from it.  I am about an hour from the show, but because of the displays, they pay all of my expenses.  So I don't mind making the trips.  Because of the displays I have to make three round trips over the course of the show.   If you are an hour or so away it is well worth it. 

Joe

PS: I AM NOT "Paleo Joe".  Don't mix me up with him.

Haha.  Thanks for the clarification.  I was actually wondering if you were "Paleo Joe".  Thanks for the information about the show.  That is very helpful.  I think it's about a 2 hour drive for me.  If they aren't likely to have "obscure" palaeozoic fossils like brachiopods, conulariids, corals, gastropods, and bivalves, I probably won't make the trip.  Maybe in the future sometime to see the displays, but this weekend is a bit busy.

I've never made it to this event.  I see it's coming up this weekend.  I think i may go!  Thanks for starting this thread, Peat.   

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

3 hours ago, Rob Russell said:

I've never made it to this event.  I see it's coming up this weekend.  I think i may go!  Thanks for starting this thread, Peat.   

My pleasure.  Glad you might be able to go.  Let us know what you think of the diversity and abundance of fossils for sale :) (I don't think I'm going to be able to make it).

We will be there Sunday for sure. Maybe Fri after work too. Hope more from the forum can make it.

Does this sound like I have a problem? I have already spent 250.00 at the fossil show....and I'm still at work, haven't even gone yet lol. Good times. :drool:

9 minutes ago, aerogrower said:

Does this sound like I have a problem? I have already spent 250.00 at the fossil show....and I'm still at work, haven't even gone yet lol. Good times. :drool:

That depends on what You bought.:P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

That depends on what You bought.:P

Some more prepping material for this winter!! A nice looking turtle, and another complete looking oredont. Some little extras thrown in too!! Ill post some pics after the show.

4 hours ago, aerogrower said:

Some more prepping material for this winter!! A nice looking turtle, and another complete looking oredont. Some little extras thrown in too!! Ill post some pics after the show.

Doesn't sound like You have any problems to Me.:thumbsu:

But then I am addicted to fossils also.:rofl:

@Peat Burns I will get some pictures up tonight. I attended the show for the good part of Saturday. It was a nice show, but as I walked thru I did notice a lot more gems and minerals than fossils. With that said the fossils that were there were very nice. Im afraid someone like @Nimravis would have been disappointed had he made a 5 hour drive one way, unless of course he had an interest in gems and minerals like I do. Very nice venue and everyone was very helpful. As I posted earlier on this thread I did buy a nice turtle still mostly in matrix, and another oredont skull. Also picked up some small  rutilated quartz pieces.(Don't ask me why but they have always fascinated me).

Love to see a picture of Joe's displays......... especially if he is featuring Ontario!!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, aerogrower said:

@Peat Burns I will get some pictures up tonight. I attended the show for the good part of Saturday. It was a nice show, but as I walked thru I did notice a lot more gems and minerals than fossils. With that said the fossils that were there were very nice. Im afraid someone like @Nimravis would have been disappointed had he made a 5 hour drive one way, unless of course he had an interest in gems and minerals like I do. Very nice venue and everyone was very helpful. As I posted earlier on this thread I did buy a nice turtle still mostly in matrix, and another oredont skull. Also picked up some small  rutilated quartz pieces.(Don't ask me why but they have always fascinated me).

Thanks, @aerogrower for the info :).  I may try to go next time.  Looking forward to seeing your pics.

@crinus, those are beautiful specimens and displays.  Thanks for sharing the pics.

2 hours ago, crinus said:

Canadian trilobites vs American Trilobites.  Who do you think won?

Very nice displays!

My guess is the canadians, they are bigger than the americans.