Connah

Hey guys, I need to pick your collective brains on this tiny fragment I picked up from Beaumaris the other day. Although clearly sea washed, it shows some detailed feathering down the profile. I'm getting a fishy vibe of this but would appreciate any thoughts.

& if anyone is wondering how I got the shots with a a phone, I borrowed the idea of taping a jewellers lens to my phone. Thanks to whoever it was that suggested this on the forum, pure genius.

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.de5b5d9427b6269fa7b8c8812595f455.JPGIMG_0664.thumb.JPG.c61a076fcf90afe853b5f0783c7212e6.JPGIMG_0666.thumb.jpg.0e52d02d8ee4c3916f19c58a09f2bf01.jpgIMG_0665.thumb.JPG.de5b5d9427b6269fa7b8c8812595f455.JPG

Could maybe be a weathered down rays tooth? 

"I am going to dig up dinosaurs whether they are liquid or solid"

Thanks @NWGeoFan as far as I'm aware there are no rays in the fossil record from this location, although of course there is always the possibility of a first. 

@bone2stone this could be a coprolite frag of something small. If it's bone then it's from a small animal as the fathering detail is very fine.

The overall shape is reminiscent of a Teleost jaw I found at this location only many times smaller, this & the fine detail is what's leading me to think fish.

@NWGeoFan thanks for reminding me of this, I had completely forgotten I have it saved somewhere. & indeed there are Ray plates found, I stand corrected. This new close-up might help to show the fine detail on the piece, it is very fine. I'm sure someone out there has seen this before. These little frags are almost more frustrating to pinpoint than much larger pieces, I think maybe because they've survived being subjected to the elements. Anyway, thanks again.

IMG_0669.jpg

Archived