NWGeoFan

Chisel sharpening

NWGeoFan

Does anyone have any good tips for sharpening a chisel? Mine has recently grown dull from excursions to the local quarry for quartz. Any tips are appreciated!

Bobby Rico

What I do always find really helpful  in any DIY situation is to look on YouTube. Can i say that, hear? Never has let me down . Sorry TFF

Ludwigia

Get yourself a grinding wheel or go to someone who has one.

NWGeoFan

Thank you both for replying I will definitely check youtube and I think my neighbor has a wheel.

Bobby Rico

If you never used a grinding wheel be very careful and get your neighbor to show you. Sorry I work in Design Technology collage in the UK they drum so much health and safety into use I can't stop my self saying this. Cheers Bobby 

sixgill pete

I would be extremely careful using a grinding wheel and not just for the safety aspect. If done improperly a wheel can cause you to overheat the blade.This can cause the blade to dull prematurley and basically ruin the blade. Personally, I use a good file to sharpen my chisels, whether for rock or woodworking

NWGeoFan
42 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

I would be extremely careful using a grinding wheel and not just for the safety aspect. If done improperly a wheel can cause you to overheat the blade.This can cause the blade to dull prematurley and basically ruin the blade. Personally, I use a good file to sharpen my chisels, whether for rock or woodworking

He should be able to help he sharpens axe blades and such quite often. What type of file do you use? This would probably be a lot easier for the future.

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

If you never used a grinding wheel be very careful and get your neighbor to show you. Sorry I work in Design Technology collage in the UK they drum so much health and safety into use I can't stop my self saying this. Cheers Bobby 

Thanks for the warning, safety is always good to have on your mind. My neighbor is experienced in using it so it will be fine if I end up going over there to sharpen it.

UtahFossilHunter

Grinding wheels are great. Once you get practiced on it, you'll be able to whip it out in minutes and be on your way back to the quarrry.

RJB

Like UtahFossilHunter says, just get yourself a grinding wheel and sharpen it,  Only take a couple of minutes and your done.  Wear some safety glasses.

RB

ynot

A file is a cheaper option and works fine.

You should use a full sized "fine" file to sharpen a chisel. Also try to keep a similar angle on the tip to what is there already.

Ptychodus04

I'm in the grinder camp. The thought of sharpening a hardened chisel with a file makes me cringe. It is very easy to touch up a chisel with a grinder without ruining the heat treatment. All you need to do is dunk the tip in a bucket of water once for every 20 seconds or so of grinding. This will keep the hardened edge cold enough to stay happy. I do this all the time when I'm doing finish work on treated and tempered knives. I've never ruined a heat treat doing this.