How much ID posting is too much? Guidelines, please.

kerrimarie805

I'm an "uninitiated," tho I have learned from and enjoyed thoroughly the discussions I've found here as a guest so decided to join y'all. As such, I am exploding with more questions than answers since researching the fossils, rocks, and shards found in our area of Pennsylvania. I have plenty of photos and not a clear surface nor empty jar in the house! My question to you veterans and thoughtful responders is this, "How much is too much?" I truly want to learn about what we have and am getting lost in the vast expanse of Pinterest images while learning little, but I don't want to wear patience thin! Please, be honest, set guidelines, make suggestions.

PS. Harry may be a kindred spirit, I often cite Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs as I am one who needs to know!

As far as I'm concerned, there can never be "too much" as long as you learn. The entire purpose of this Forum is to learn about and share our passion in prehistory, and a question you have will undoubtedly be shared by many others. The Forum is very much akin to a large online reference pertaining to all things paleontology-related, so answers to your questions-regardless of how many-can only beneficially increase this reputation. My only advice would be to perhaps organize your questions so responses can also be easily organized :) Welcome to the Forum!

• I found this Informative 3

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Welcome to the Forum. There is a WIDE array of individuals at TFF, from novices like yourself to advanced professionals, with many members somewhere in between all here to help with any identification issues you have. Having been a beginning novice three years ago, I have advanced my knowledge through this forum so I might actually qualify as an advanced novice, whatever that is. Now on occasion, I recognize  something in the identification section and am thrilled to show off my newfound knowledge and in turn help someone in the process. Many of your requests of ID can be made by members like me, wanting to help. If someone presents something a little more exotic, advanced professionals can be tagged so that they see the need for their response and happily  provide their insight as well. Remember, if you can't ID something, it could be that rare specimen that we all look for.  If you don't ask, you will not know, and it will end up in the discard pile as you become more proficient in your finds. Look forward to seeing (and maybe IDing) your finds!

As for suggestions, post individual finds. It seems confusing when 10 items are placed in one post. My observations show that if 10 specimens are put in one post, most of the time not all fossils are talked about and identified. But if posted individually, rarely do you not get a response and the responses you get are much more involved. If you do post multiples, at least NUMBER them.

As mentioned above, I am an advanced novice. And novices make mistakes. I still am only 50 % successful remembering to put something in the picture to show size of the fossil. Learn to do this right away and you will surpass my ranking quickly!! 

Tell where your fossil came from! That way I can go to your site and find my own!! Never do this. But find yourself a geologic map of Pennsylvania and mention the rock formation that is close to where you found the specimen. It will provide you with much more detailed responses.

Take multiple views of the fossil in question. The " butt end"  of a fossil may not look beautiful, but it enables Forum members to hone in on a definitive ID.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

Of course you are welcome to ask all of the questions that you wish. I would just like to echo Jesuslover in suggesting that you don't pack too much into one post, but rather try to sort them out accordingly and dose the posts over a few days in order to give us all time to think about and discuss your various questions with you.

PS. Just in case you haven't already discovered them, the guidelines for posting in the id section are to be found here

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

There will never be too much, in fact well probably enjoy it if you start peppering us with Id requests!

The only rule about the id section is just how you post it, not really what you post (assuming everyone has common sense :wacko:)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

You guys rock! Thank you for the encouragement and reminders about referencing size in my photos (I'd have started posting willy-nilly without a penny for your accurate thoughts!), tho I might post just one ID with only a verbal description of size as I simply cannot wait for clarification and suspect it'll be an easy one for most of you. Thanks again, let's begin...

Great question! I'm in somewhat of the same boat. I have tons of pretty indistinct fossils that are heavily weathered or broken. I can generally tell that they are gastropod, or oyster or clam, etc. I'm satisfied with those classifications with the less impressive stuff I find. I'm sure that a real expert could take some tiny shard I have and tell me exactly what it is. But I'm most interested in ID'ing the really nice specimens or otherwise ones that I just think are super cool.

I'm glad to know I can post any of that other stuff though, and still pique the interest of someone on the forum! This is a great place to learn!

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, KraZshardLady said:

a penny

Coins do not make a good scale reference as many members are from varying Countries and do not know foreign coin sizes.

Please use a ruler for scale.

Agree with what the Others have said.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.