Preparation Oviraptor Egg

killer2906

On your advice that the best method of preparation of an Oviraptor egg is Air abrasion, i bought me a sandblaster.

I have also used my air scribe and bought a slightly cheaper egg for testing the method.

After some time I finished the prepared of the egg.

I hope you like it?

Here is the unprepared egg:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f2a045ceda5c51d5eec48e384ed67a05.jpg

s-1.thumb.jpg.b4fdd1550feeab2633c4412e149fcdd0.jpg

and after the preperation:

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.3d61ecf02904415f23b9721b1e3efb60.JPGIMG_01332.thumb.jpg.95a8b8733849dc6b139b3e351687944a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That looks very well done. What abrasive medium did you employ?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Dusty and Rusty to mightu dang awesome. Loving it! Keep up the good work!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I looked at the first one and thought it nice, but then I scrolled down...Wow! Really nice job!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I thank you all for the positive feedbacks :)

I'm just about to prepare the next egg.

When the preparation is done, I will upload the photos.

4 hours ago, snolly50 said:

That looks very well done. What abrasive medium did you employ?

I have tried 2 abrasive media, iron powder and Aluminum oxide (that was with the sandblaster).

The iron powder was too aggressive and damaged the eggshell.

It works very well with the Aluminum oxide.

16 minutes ago, killer2906 said:

It works very well with the Aluminum oxide.

Thanks!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The air abrasion system sure made that egg pop. Nice job.  Cool.        Hope you are doing your work in a contained hood to keep from breathing that dust cause aluminum oxide is very nasty stuff.  Aluminum oxide is very aggressive also.  Glad it didn't destroy the detail on you egg.

On 7.10.2017 at 4:59 PM, crabfossilsteve said:

The air abrasion system sure made that egg pop. Nice job.  Cool.        Hope you are doing your work in a contained hood to keep from breathing that dust cause aluminum oxide is very nasty stuff.  Aluminum oxide is very aggressive also.  Glad it didn't destroy the detail on you egg.

Air abrasion it is a great way to prepare.

Yes, I use an airtight sandblast box.