Dinosaur Eggshell ID

mattman10

I traded some fossils for a bunch of European dinosaur eggshells a few years back, a mix from France and Spain.  However, I stupidly misplaced the labels for these two sets of eggshells and now have no idea which site they came from (they appear to be from two different sites, judging by the colouration).  I know it's a long shot, but if anyone with an interest in European dinosaur eggshells could shed some light on where these eggshells came from, it would be much appreciated.  All are around 2mm tick.

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

Note that the ID and age of eggshells is sketchy, but I will give you what dealers would usually label these as.

The whiter ones on top are probably:

Titanosaurid

Megaloolithus sirugei

80 million years old

Burgos Province, Spain

The grey ones below are even harder to solve. I'd say they are probably:

Titanosaurid

Hypselosaurus sp.

70 million years old

Aix-en-Province, France

Hopefully, you can find the labels eventually.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thanks Andy!  Funnily enough, I thought that's where both had originated, but googling Aix-en-Province eggshells I started to doubt that ID for the grey ones as the eggs from that site come from red claystones.  All the Hypselosaurus eggshells I've seen from that site seem to be red, or perhaps once the claystone is cleaned many of the eggshells are in fact grey?

I think trying to identify these eggshells to locality is going to be a difficult proposition.  Southern France is one of the richest areas for eggs at numerous locations and the and the color of the preservation is different at each place.  My French eggs range from a chocolate, red to light gray color from several sites.    All are Megaloolithus types.  

A large discovery of eggs was found a few years ago in the Coll De Nargo region of Spain in the Tremp formation and most of the eggs found were also Megaloolithus type.   Yours might be from this find and I have to believe there are also other localities.  The color of the eggs I've seen also varies.  

I've found it!  Hopefully this will help narrow it down, although I can't quite make out all of the locality info as the handwriting isn't the best :blink:

I can make out Ventabren and Aix, but there seems to be a third locality in the middle.

And thanks Troodon, I didn't realise there were so many different sites in Southern France - I'd assumed most came from Aix Provence.

IMG_3165.JPG

Here are all the known localities in France and Spain you might help you on the label since it looks like multiple localities in France

20171006_060606.thumb.jpg.da3147e45f88e297c84f691a1579d17e.jpg20171006_060648.thumb.jpg.b5d941fb75d30406637792dab541e78f.jpg-20171006_061928.thumb.jpg.96ba4c890849e0c2c3f1bbb01c830292.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I can recommend the 2017 thesis(AVAILABLE ONLINE) : The Oological record of dinosaurs in the South Central Pyrenees(A. Garcia Selles)

Can't post an outtake(write-protected,it seems) .

What with what's going on in Spain ,the link might be volatile,BTW

MEANWHILE:

EGGG56hb.jpg

The Williams/Kerourio DOESN'T mention colours,BTW.It focuses on ultrastructural/petrographic detail