kerrimarie805

I thought these were horse teeth, but after some poking around I'm thinking they're bison teeth. Please, help with identification and geological era. I'm starting with photos of the two that look like bone, in what stage I don't know, but do have three more (one large and two small) that I believe to be completely fossilized teeth from the same animal. All were found in Bucks County, Carversville exactly, in or near a creek bed at the bottom of a ridge of cliffs, which, we've been told, is a very special geological location where finds are not typical of the surrounding area. 

Because I could not wait to get another photo with a point of reference for size, I must include my best estimation from memory: the larger piece is approximately 2" long and 1/2-3/4" deep and not quite 1 1/2" wide The smaller of the two pieces can be referenced by the larger, but is about the size of my index finger from the first knuckle to top.

I'll wait to post the photos of the possible complete fossilized pieces, I'm sure I will need to be more diligent including all needed info in the photos I choose to post. 

For now, I hope this is enough, do tell!

20170928_002830.jpg

20170928_002924.jpg

I remember reading about a ranch somewhere in western US where fossils could be collected for a fee. One of the things mentioned about the place was a cliff where bison had been driven to their demise as a hunting method. 

Not sure if it has any meaning to this post, but perhaps it's better than nothing. :)

I just came across this moose jaw while moving some furniture (more fossil storage).

Do they look anything like this ? 

IMG_4459a.jpg

IMG_4460a.jpg

29 minutes ago, KraZshardLady said:

I would say no, because the moose teeth have rounded edges.

The answer may indeed be no, but these have no wear or ageing. One must imagine it with the rounded ends missing. The petal shaped smaller piece is what caught my eye. I suspect it may indicate something related to deer.

Perhaps @Harry Pristis can help. He is sure to want the view of the tooth as I posted. 

I sort of doubt that you have moose teeth, but here is an old moose skull to illustrate the concept.

IMG_4461a.jpg

IMG_4463a.jpg

These teeth certainly appear to be bovid . . . cow or bison or muskox.   Pennsylvania is an unlikely place to find a fossil bison, less unlikely to find a muskox,  most likely to find a cow.  

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Rockwood: I actually grew up in Nebraska and Wyoming, worked in the Black Hills of South Dakota for several summers, so know well where the buffalo roam but have never seen their teeth. I've never seen a cow in this part of Bucks County, Pa, though there was a "farm" near Carversville where these were found that kept various uncommonly seen animals, including buffalo, as it has been described to me by those who remember. There are also several equestrian clubs in the immediate area above the cliffs behind our home, hence my first guess that they were horse teeth. My husband, who grew up in Bucks County, insists there were bison in the area, but he thought he found a meteorite on his second tromp through the creek looking for fossils! I'm curious about the possible fossilized teeth that seem to be from the same animal, I will get pics posted in this stream. 

9 minutes ago, KraZshardLady said:

I've never seen a cow in this part of Bucks County,

You have to think on a historical basis. What about the last 300 years. How many farms have come and gone in that time? Also what was there befor 300 years ago or 1000 years?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Indeed, I'm going to do more homework on that very topic, but have heard more from those locals who claim to have an educated guess that leans more toward horse or other than cow. I'm from the land of cattle, great uncles in Nebraska still drive their Texas longhorns over 2 weeks from western Nebraska to Lubbock, Texas and I just can't get my head around the idea that there are cows/cattle in Bucks County, Pa. However, I have seen pretty cows under the occasional shade tree and got our milk straight from the dairy when the kids were still at home, though not ever in this part of the county which seems to be an exception to the usual geology of the area. I'm going to find out what I might about the land before our time. More later!