wamorris1999

I have a chunk of a log about 30 lb, and it is covered with literally thousands of termite coprolites . I'm going to try and get a picture I was wondering what you guys thought.

1006171531.jpg

Are you sure those aren't crystal growths?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

They are each pinhead-sized, and perfectly round- and the wood itself is so full of termite holes that it looks like it is fixing to fall apart before your eyes. It looks so like it was just recently eaten up by termites. It looks like it should weigh a few pounds only.

Edited by wamorris1999

16 minutes ago, wamorris1999 said:

They are each pinhead-sized, and perfectly round

I'd guess they are botryoidal growths of some mineral. (perhaps calcite, taking one and dropping it in vinegar could test if it's calcite. If it bubbles or fizzes it is). It's rather nice, adds character the piece.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@GeschWhat will know if they are coprolites. I tend to agree with those who have responded but I know little on the subject. Hope you are correct!! Nice specimen either way.

Mike

6 minutes ago, wamorris1999 said:

Nope- no fizz 

That rules out calcite. @ynot do you have any ideas on the mineral? You have a far greater knowledge than myself on the subject...

Happy hunting,

Mason

Where was this found?

I agree that it is most likely a mineral deposit on the wood and not termite coprolite as the termite coprolites are hexagonal not round.

There are many minerals that form botryoidal structures, agate is a very common one.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

unfortunately I don't know exactly which Petrified Forest it came from. I've seen live rotting logs that have termites and it looks identical to this. I looked at them closely with the loop and they range from round to oblong and everything in between

2 minutes ago, wamorris1999 said:

unfortunately I don't know exactly which Petrified Forest it came from. I've seen live rotting logs that have termites and it looks identical to this. I looked at them closely with the loop and they range from round to oblong and everything in between

We really need some good close up pictures to be sure.

Without the closeups We can only guess.

You may be right. I appreciate any help I can get. One question would be since the formations are the same color as the wood, would that suggest something other than a botryoidal mineral?

Just now, wamorris1999 said:

You may be right. I appreciate any help I can get. One question would be since the formations are the same color as the wood, would that suggest something other than a botryoidal mineral?

It is the same color because the wood was replaced with the same mineral as the one growing on it.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yeah, in my opinion those look like quartz crystals covering the surface.  The white vein in the upper left of the image shows them unblemished by the mineral staining that is covering them. I'd be curious if you clean them if the wonderful color would show through ?  We used to use a warm solution of oxalic acid (nasty stuff btw .. use with caution) on iron stained quartz from Arkansas.

Cool piece.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

thanks to everyone. it seemed to me that since the log is literally eaten up and falling apart,  full of holes and Termite tubes, that it may be termite droppings.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

From the upper left down to the center of the picture, definitive evidence of mineralization occurs. Can't tell if this is a tubular void or an empty layer going through  the specimen. Either way, this crystalline material should suggest that mineralization of the surface of this wood  is more likely than preservation of termite excrement. Again I am hoping our coprolite experts will lean your way.

Mike

2 hours ago, wamorris1999 said:

thanks to everyone. it seemed to me that since the log is literally eaten up and falling apart,  full of holes and Termite tubes, that it may be termite droppings.

How about showing us the holes and termite tubes.  I can't identify them in the images you've posted.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

5ub.jpg

Termite coprolites are slightly hexagonal

(edit(hours later):superfluous!!! see Ynot's comment)

It pays to be careful in paleo-ecological and taphonomic analyses,like Harry Pristis implied

different kinds of insect frass:

trebasplud5u6hb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

First of all, termite coprolite has never in my intire life entered my mind.  Would be very cool if these are termite coprolites!  Would make for a very interesting piece.   Second of all, @ynot seemed to know off the bat the shape of a termite coprolite.  I would never in my life have thought that there is a person on this planet that walks around with that kind of knowledge!!!      Im seeing ynot right now at a party, drink in hand, leaning against a wall trying to pick up good lookin babe.  "Hey babe, did you know that termite coprolite is hexigonal and not perfectly round?"    Girl walks off.   :)

RB

• I found this Informative 3

29 minutes ago, RJB said:

@ynot seemed to know off the bat the shape of a termite coprolite.  I would never in my life have thought that there is a person on this planet that walks around with that kind of knowledge!!!   

I learned this tidbit of information from @GeschWhat (thanks) in a thread She posted about a year ago. It takes that long for received information to sink in and resurface, for Me at least.

34 minutes ago, RJB said:

Im seeing ynot right now at a party, drink in hand, leaning against a wall trying to pick up good lookin babe.  "Hey babe, did you know that termite coprolite is hexigonal and not perfectly round?"  

I am a social misfit.  I do not go to parties (any more). I do not "drink" (alcohol) either.  Also, I hate crowds.

40 minutes ago, RJB said:

Girl walks off.  

At least You got this part right.:P