Calvert cliffs 10/6/17

paxhunter

So the water levels were the lowest they have been since April. I walked in the heavy cobble that hasnt been visible in months and came away with a pretty good haul. Then the waves picked up and took away the visibility bad not a bad day at Calvert Cliffs!

22221713_10203628166700416_6640090045266997254_n.jpg

22308981_10203628166500411_7040846889142868026_n.jpg

Nice haul! Do you hunt at Calvert cliffs senso stricto, or somewhere else?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

38 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice haul! Do you hunt at Calvert cliffs senso stricto, or somewhere else?

i split my time between Calvert Cliffs on the bay and on the Pax river but other than that no i want to start venturing out

2 minutes ago, paxhunter said:

i split my time between Calvert Cliffs on the bay and on the Pax river but other than that no i want to start venturing out

Cool, I didn't even know the patuxent river had prolific fossil sites (really should have guessed from the username)!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

Cool, I didn't even know the patuxent river had prolific fossil sites (really should have guessed from the username)!

Yeah the Pax has the same deposits as the bay its just more tide dependent and not as many large exposures as the bay so it is more difficult 

24 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Gorgeous finds! That looks like a Chub.

I believe its one of those famous Calvert transitional teeth the cusps are very small especially since it came from the north end of the county

I really like that chub :wub:, and your hauls are just fantastic! Great job! 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thanks guys its always a struggle this time of year but from here on out it should get better and better now that summer is over

Congrats on the nice teeth! Nothing like a surface find. Thanks for posting. 

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

WOW! :envy:

I went out there last month to find my favorite spot. It was low tide and my favorite spot, usually visible albeit submerged then, was so far out in the bay I couldn't find it! Brought back some uninteresting lumps of matrix from the water's edge, just in case I could find some minis. Took it to work today to play with. It had dried and crumbled and a perfect 3-4" Chesapecten sat there staring at me! Can't wait to see what else is in there this weekend!

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

4 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

WOW! :envy:

I went out there last month to find my favorite spot. It was low tide and my favorite spot, usually visible albeit submerged then, was so far out in the bay I couldn't find it! Brought back some uninteresting lumps of matrix from the water's edge, just in case I could find some minis. Took it to work today to play with. It had dried and crumbled and a perfect 3-4" Chesapecten sat there staring at me! Can't wait to see what else is in there this weekend!

Yeah i know what you mean you have to get creative when it comes to fossil hunting the bay during the summer with all the high water and sand. Great idea taking matrix home with you it kind of extends the hunt especially if you arent close to the cliffs.

47 minutes ago, paxhunter said:

Yeah i know what you mean you have to get creative when it comes to fossil hunting the bay during the summer with all the high water and sand. Great idea taking matrix home with you it kind of extends the hunt especially if you arent close to the cliffs.

Some of my best finds in 10 years were in blocks I hauled a mile down the beach to the stairs and up the cliff to the car this summer. No shark teeth yet, but some rare shells in really good shape. Beats a 3-hour drive each way!

15 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

Some of my best finds in 10 years were in blocks I hauled a mile down the beach to the stairs and up the cliff to the car this summer. No shark teeth yet, but some rare shells in really good shape. Beats a 3-hour drive each way!

Yeah im lucky that the cliffs are a 10 min drive from my house

So I looked at the block of disintegrating sand that revealed the scallop shell. It wasn't just one valve! It's broken, but both valves are there. AND a small Isognomon just fell pout when I picked it up. Can't wait to dig through the rest at work tomorrow for my demo!

Nice little meg and a bunch of great teeth. Great day!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Good finds for Calvert cliffs. I used to look for shark teeth there all the time when I was a kid, but it was usually slim pickens (the Potomac River seems like one of the toughest places on earth to find a nice meg or Chub).

Some of the Potomac River beaches with Paleocene fossils are interesting. Has anyone found good places for those? Back in the day, I found a lot of teeth (otodus, etc) at Purse State Park, though the preservation was only ok (not great). Some of the other beaches around there have better preservation, though most seem to be on private property.

Archived