Kurufossils

Drotops Megalomanicus found it mislabeled and under priced at the mall today at a random booth, was a very unexpected pleasure :D measures somewhere around 5.3-5.4 inches, the condition is not to bad.

IMG_20171007_203728116.jpg

IMG_20171007_203739407.jpg

IMG_20171007_203753218.jpg

IMG_20171007_203657040.jpg

Nice phacopid! The correct identification is Drotops - Dratops is not a valid genus in the Family Phacopidae.

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

The mall?!  Wish our stores had niceties such as that...then again, we don't have any malls around here.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

@wamorris1999 thanks!

@caldigger Oh I wish it was permanent, it was from a a mineral booth that only comes around maybe a few times a year for one weekend, we use to have evolution stores in our mall but they long shut down. 

Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@wamorris1999 Eh no worries its a pretty terrible booth besides this lucky finds, the only other things where a few grossly overpriced ocean meg frags, maybe 3 mosasaur teeth, 1 small spinosaur, and those little baggies with misc dino bone frags. It was quite a shocker to see a Drotops Megalomanicus the seller didn't even know what it was and mislabeled the hell out of it, and generalized it as just a regular trilobite.

2 minutes ago, wamorris1999 said:

it still would be a blast just to be there. And you did score on that Drotops!

Indeed, it was refreshing to see any sort of fossils at the lame mall in my area.

I've seen composite enchodus jaws mislabeled as authentic mosasaur jaws in museum gift shops, but a rarity mislabeled as a common trinket? That's a gold strike.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

3 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

...but a rarity mislabeled as a common trinket?

I'd hesitate to label any fossil as a "trinket." They're valuable examples of prehistoric life, and hold great scientific significance.

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

from Lindstrom's the Visual Organs of Trilobites:

NB: some of the taxonomy might be outdated

5jghb.jpg

5jghb.jpg

Archived