KimTexan

This is also from the North Sulfur River today. I think they are some type of cast of a worm tunneling, but it's only a guess. Anyone care to educate me a little more about what they are?

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

Here are a couple more. One is the flip side of the first pic. 

They're all a bit softer than most rock.

I didn't get the last one very clean. It was a bit more fragile and pieces were coming off when I was cleaning it.

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

Without implying anything about the crustacean nature or not :

edit:thinking Spongeliomorpha,possibly?

wormechlen25756hb.jpg

Ok I'm not familiar with shrimp or crab casts. Thanks. I'll try to see if I can find different types of casts pictures for that.

I assume the depths of the crevices or texture of the burrow differ by the type and maybe size of critter that made it. Is that correct?

An example is in the 3rd pic the far right one, it has a different texture than the others, especially if you compare it to the 2 in the previous pic.

3 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Without implying anything about the crustacean nature or not :

wormechlen25756hb.jpg

I would not have recognized those on the right were a fossil at all! They look like amorphous blobs. Or I may have mistaken them for having been something that was weathered or tumbled along a creek/river bed or something.

There are thousands of extant species that burrow in the ocean beds, and each has it's own caricature. I would imagine the ancient oceans were much the same. (should also look for clam burrows.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

A lot of factors go into burrow morphology,among which is, of course,the nature of the tracemaker,as Tony pointed out.

However,burrowing as a behaviour has its energetic (physiological)limitations.

Especially in worms(polychaetes,echiurans).

edit:Tony's suggestion about a possible bivalve origin should be considered as well(compound Protovirgularia?)

wormechlen25756hb.jpg

crustacean burrows,why/how flowchart Source:authors to the very right of pic,journal: MEPS 128,1995

wormechlen25756hb.jpg

I liked "D" in this context(crustacean chimneys,not mentioned too often in ichnology(I think) leave a fossi record or not?)

wormechlen25756hb.jpg

Archived