Jlb

Hi, first off, I would like to know where exactly in North Dakota you found this (formation, if possible), as North Dakota can hold multiple formations spawning different ages of fossils, and an exact location can narrow it down much easier.

Looking at the item itself, the patterns kind of look like that from hadrosaur skin, but since the patterns are on the entire item rather than one side, it means that it probably isnt skin :wacko: (Because as far as I know, if it were to be skin, the pattern would only appear on one side) But also, looking closer between the patterns, I don't see much possible tissue material but rather stone, so my guess is that it could be a very elaborate piece of conglomerate.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Agree with the others.  No Hell Creek Formation exposure in that area where Dino skin would be found.  See map

Hell_Creek_and_Lance_formations.thumb.png.71206af3e61616da8a7be768276e2b50.thumb.jpg.ad9f3a745237982c7f77942c0e6d132b.jpg

This is a common pattern for iron.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason